Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well it came in the mail, finally and I've started getting quotes on an install. The dealership wanted 175 to install a single DIRECT FACTORY REPLACEMENT muffler. A local muffler shop said $100 off the books. Both of these prices sound high to me. So I have 2 questions, first, how much should I expect to pay for getting this installed, and second, does anyone know of a good muffler shop in atlanta that can install this muffler pretty quickly (not leaving it overnight or anything) and at a good price?

I looked at it and was tempted to try and install it myself but I don't have a torque wrench, it seems kind of ridiculous to pay 100$ to take off 5 bolts then put 5 botls back on. Did anyone install their muffler on their own without a torque wrench? I'm seriously considering this as well.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I removed my cats and installed an off road x-pipe without a torque wrench. I didnt know you needed one for exhaust work? If I were you, I would go ahead and do this install myself, just "get a feel" for how tight things are.

Good Luck:thumbsup

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The instructionssay to tighten between 32-35lbs. I think I like the 'get a feel approach'

edit: caps :p whoops.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hehe if you can't get the new ones on. Just say you want to pay them 50 for the install since you did all the removal work already.

·
Registered
294 Posts
You don' need no stinkin torque wrench.

Just pay attention to how tight the bolts are that you remove. Look at where your wrench or ratchet handle is when you start, break it loose then tighten it back to where it was while getting a "feel" of how tight it is.
If it ever comes loose then it will start to rattle and you just tighten it up some more.

Changing these mufflers are pretty straight forward and shouldn't be difficult, it will be some work though.

I guarentee you the muffler shop will not be using a torque wrench. They'll probably just use an air ratchet.

·
Registered
767 Posts
What everyone else said. Do it yourself. Total job is 4 bolts removed and reinstalled, and two clamps loosened and tightened. You can do it in your garage ( or driveway ) and don't even have to jack up the car to do it. Should take less than an hour. I wouldn't pay someone $20 to do it much less +$100!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Did mine myself and only took about an hour. It is easy to do.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Use the "calibrated arm" method...tighten as tight as you can (without crushing the pipe) and back off a 1/4 turn :laughlitt .

We do that all the time around here. Works great and never had a problem with something coming loose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts