Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!

Can't wait to be a veteran like so many on this site. My Stang is my baby. She is the first car I ever bought and is finally paid off, so I am considering putting some of that car note I'm not paying any more back into the car.

I am looking for some advice on the easiest/cheapest/most effective mods and changes to make to her. I would love some gain in fuel economy, but not entirely opposed to adding some power as long as it won't put too much strain on any of the stock components.

Please be gentle with me since I don't have very much mechanical experience/knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you have to offer!

-J

·
Registered
22 Posts
A computer programmer would be a good choice since you dont have to do any mechanical work, you could gain up to 30 hp, and you can always change the tune back to an economy setting for better gas mileage

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
like everyone else sugguest cai, exhuast, and a tune

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replies. I am also pretty new as to which brands to use. Which tuner? which cai? I was also thinking about changing out the spark plugs, wires and coil. is it worth it to do so? I'm at almost 90K miles, so most recommend changing plugs again at 100K anyways. Which coil, wires and plugs are recommended?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Stock coil is fine. Autolite plugs. MSD makes good wires. You'll probably pick up some mpg with the wires. Originals were likely shot by 50k miles.

Replacing the stock muffler with a GT take-off or better will get you almost another 2 mpg. Duals will cost more, but will not provide gains over upgrading just the single muffler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok i've looked at a few brands of wires, looks like MSD is a hot item. Which plugs? does it matter if they are copper/platinum/iridium? The iridium plugs are much more expensive. Also, what types of exhaust system? Most of what i see are dual systems, and i don't really have the money to convert the back bumper.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ok i've looked at a few brands of wires, looks like MSD is a hot item. Which plugs? does it matter if they are copper/platinum/iridium? The iridium plugs are much more expensive. Also, what types of exhaust system? Most of what i see are dual systems, and i don't really have the money to convert the back bumper.
Blah don't worry about converting the bumper. If you really want to go to a true dual set up just cut your bumper, I'm almost possitve I'll have a lot of v6 owners here agreeing with that statement. Also for the plugs just don't get a two piece, they have a tendency of breaking off in the block(which is never a good thing)

·
Registered
54 Posts
JLT CAI, Pypes true dual exhaust, SCT tuner with bama tunes. That's what I first went with and I don't regret it one bit.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Nice to see another Limer here...I've got a 05 Legend Lime. Anyways, my first mods were Tunable Induction CAI, SCT tuner w/ Mama tunes, and Pypes true dual exhaust. I am switching my exhaust to a side exit setup here shortly though. Once you start the mods it never ends. Enjoy and have fun.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

T

·
0 Posts
Tunable Induction V6 CAI w/SCT Bama Tune

Welcome to the forum :bigthumbsup

Most '05+ V6 & GT first mods are a larger then stock CAI w/SCT tuner, exhaust, rear gears. CAI & tuner will improve hp, throttle response, & mileage.

Tunable Induction's CAI with AM/Bama SCT tuner/tunes is popular here with many V6 owners.

Tunable Induction LLC The Original Mustang Cold Air Intake System is Now Partnered with Unique Tuning LLC The Carolinas #1 Source for Mustang And Dodge Performance Parts, Service And Dynojet Tuning Using Diablosport And SCT Tuning Software

Installed black & painted CAI's on customer's rides on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/tunable-induction/126467684062335

Enjoy, Ken

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I have $1000.00 total into a CAI, Tuner and Full Duals with a X-Pipe and GT Take Off Mufflers, it's the best money I ever spent.
I also like many on here just cut out my rear bumper, it's easy and look's good. I also run the Bama 93 Race Tune, I get as good of gas mileage and better sometimes then when I ran the factory stock tune with 87 Octane, that's as long as Im nice to the pedal.
With a CAI and 93 Race Tune from Bama and American Muscle you'll get Instant Throttle response and Fast Firm Tire Chirping Shifts, it's a night and day difference over your sluggish stock tune, you'll think you have a different motor in your stang.
I'd go with the CAI, Tuner first, then when you can add duals for looks and sound then a new set of gears 3:73's or if you want all out fast 4:10's, but the 3:73's are the best all around.
I'll add a Pic of my stang with duals and my cut out rear bumper so you can see how she looks.
Best of Luck to You:bigthumbsup

Attachments

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Hello Everyone!

Can't wait to be a veteran like so many on this site. My Stang is my baby. She is the first car I ever bought and is finally paid off, so I am considering putting some of that car note I'm not paying any more back into the car.

I am looking for some advice on the easiest/cheapest/most effective mods and changes to make to her. I would love some gain in fuel economy, but not entirely opposed to adding some power as long as it won't put too much strain on any of the stock components.

Please be gentle with me since I don't have very much mechanical experience/knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any and all help you have to offer!

-J
Extra traction makes these cars a lot of fun to drive. If you haven't already upgraded your wheels & tires, that's a great place to start because some 18" wheels would look great, but they'd also give you the ability to run some nice wide tires for extra grip.

Suspension upgrades also help the traction situation quite a bit. We carry lots of great parts for your car at Mustang Parts & Performance - UPR Products.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My vote is for gears, if you have about 500 or less. If you have above 800 I say go for CAI and tuner, but with gears. If your going for performance, its a hands down choice. An exhaust really will only add probably 10hp unless you do an all out set up. The exhaust sounds good, but too me, the fun of getting so much more pickup from my 4.10's is wayyyy better than the sound of an exhaust. Besides, taking your muffler off is free! And I love how it sounds. 4.10 so far are my favorite mod, its been almost 800 miles and I still cant believe how much faster my car pulls

1 - 13 of 13 Posts