Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This my First Mustang. What are my best options to buy spark plugs on 2002 Ford Mustang 4.6. Someone mention not to use Bosch Platinum +4?
Is Autolite Platinum good 2.99 @ autozone.
I would like something mid range noting to cheap or expensive.
My only reason is to figure what is wrong with it , and has a check engine light. I had the car two years since i brought it and not change spark plugs. It has 75000 mi. It is laging or feels like its chocking when accelerating to speed. It sounds like a muffle sound when im going up hill or going from 25mph to 35mph. It lags off and on city speed including highway speed to get 60mph.
I got a code PO 302
cylinder misfire detected cylinder #2
* ignition system fault-spark plug, ign wires,coil
* vac leak
* Injector fault
* Hi/Lo fuel pressure
Code PO 316 Crank sensor condition
* crank sensor defective
* check connector & wiring to sensor
* check trigger wheel for damage. (whatever that means)
So im thinking spark plugs. Do you think a crank sensor will go bad or maybe coil in cylinder 2. Trying to keep cost down since im on a fixed income and its my only souce of transportation. I just hate to spend $80 on diagnostic where i can use it toward a part to fix. Labor cost in garages are insane.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
The P0316 is what it is, and most likely you need to replace the crank sensor. I would inspect it first, make sure it's not a broken wire or any of the other things mentioned. You need to resolve this issue first, as it likely is leading to the other problem, the P0302. Get a Haynes or Chilton repair manual for your car; it will walk you through inspecting/replacing the crank sensor and will come in handy for future use.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
The crank sensor is a pretty easy fix. One bolt and it slides out. It's located by the air conditioning compressor, mounted into the timing cover.

And I always use NGK Copper plugs. There's no reason to buy any of those gimmick plugs if you change them every so often. And Copper is a better conductor than platinum or iridium anyways.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts