Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, another question from "The Noob". I see alot of people saying that the K&N FIPK is the best CAI. I was wondering has anyone had or tried the AFE CAI. According to the websites that sell them they are the best, some of them claiming gains of up to 50HP, I find that hard to believe, but could the AFE really be better than the K&N?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Really helps if you include link to product and/or pictures, or to the websites you're talking about.
AFE not particularly well-known.
K&N tried & true (and claim a 10hp gain) - no CAI is going to gain 50hp, though some of the systems really add HP to screwed Cobras & the 05/06 3-valves.

Personally, more of a www.demoltet.com fan myself:
Pic is of a K&N FIPK & the DeMolet #5 system; not to worry - std. color is black. The DeMolet works best if professionally tuned after install.

Also helps if you mod your signature via the "User CP" link at top of page to include details about your car (year, model, motor, trans, etc.) - makes it easier for us to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
K&N FIPK, Gen II, is cheaper by $50-60
The Demolet is $100 cheaper

What we do like about all these CAI's is that they're mostly plastic and don't absorb heat from the engine compartment like metal ones do. Dyno guys don't usually like a bend in the tubing in front of the MAF (on the DeMolet, where it turns to go into the fenderwell); upsets voltage but can be tuned for. The K&N is straight-forward and proven. I like having the filter in the fenderwell personally. Another, less-expensive, option would be to simply replace the stock air-filter w/a K&N and leave all the rest stock - gain is about half doing the whole thing and price around $50.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, I think I will get the K&N and save the money. Also I know that it will do what it claims.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Take a look at www.jlttruecoldair.com I picked up 5-10 rwhp OVER my Mac CAI when I put it on and dyno'd it to make sure the A/F ratio was still right.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
BlueStreak03 said:
Take a look at www.jlttruecoldair.com I picked up 5-10 rwhp OVER my Mac CAI when I put it on and dyno'd it to make sure the A/F ratio was still right.
-- is this the unit w/the filter in the engine compartment or the true cold-air w/the MAF & filter in the fenderwell?

·
Registered
1,918 Posts

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
It's the full CAI with the MAF and filter in the fenderwell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.