Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy some new heads for my car and think I've settled on Afr 165s. I'm just wondering what to expect in horsepower gains? I would like to be close to 400hp. I have an Edlebrock performer intake, 600cfm carb, Bbk Longtube headers, no cats, and a small cam slightly bigger than stock. Do you think this is a realistic expectation? Do you think it's worth it? Thanks for the advice!

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
it would probably put you around 300, 400 would take a stroker motor and supporting mods

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You want 400 hp at the flywheel or at the rear wheels...?

5.0 ain't gonna get you there at the rear wheels without boost...with boost, that is a pretty easy goal...

Those heads will get you over 300 rwhp fairly easily with the right set of supporting mods. Which is getting pretty close to 400 at the flywheel.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
well get the heads, and let us know how it goes, you'll probably need a bigger carb, a good dyno tune will dial it all it for max hp...good luck

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
A 331 stroker can get 400 rwhp without boost... And EFI...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
A 331 stroker can get 400 rwhp without boost... And EFI...
Yeah, but it ain't gonna happen N/A with a 302 and AFR 165s...just trying to give the guy some realistic expectations...

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
310 rwhp or 360 crank HP is a realistic expectation from an AFR 165 headed N/A 302.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the feedback! Those articles on the heads you guys posted really pushed me over the edge, I want the afrs even more! Do you think I definitely need a bigger carb? 650? 700? And if I achieved 400 at the crank, how much power do you think I would lose through the powertrain?

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
really?

Yeah, but it ain't gonna happen N/A with a 302 and AFR 165s...just trying to give the guy some realistic expectations...
you need to read the atricle dave posted. :nono: my 306 made 423 FLYWHEEL hp at 6800. it is a little more engine than the one in the article, but it is very possible.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
All this is lovely. I don't care how many magazines say they make 400 flywheel hp...because that number means nothing IMHO...

If all the OP wants is a huge flywheel number, then great. But I still don't see a 302 with 165s hitting 400 RWHP. Even the 306 making 423 flywheel hp is not putting 400 to the wheels...and I would wager that is just about as much hp as you are ever going to get out of those parts...

The OP still has not answered the question. Is he looking for flywheel hp or rear wheel hp...'cuz one he can get, and the other he can't...

Of course, someone can always feel free to post up a dyno of a 306 and 165 heads putting 400 to the rear wheels N/A and I will admit I am wrong...but I doubt that is ever going to happen...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would like 400 at the wheels, but from everyone is saying, this probably won't be possible.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You're right. Highest n/a 302 I've seen made 377 rwhp... The same car probably makes 385 now due to a couple changes. Highest rwhp from afr 165's that I've seen is 316 rwhp.... Average h/c/I 5.0 with 165's makes 290-300 whp... Those are realistic numbers

·
Registered
371 Posts
you need to read the atricle dave posted. :nono: my 306 made 423 FLYWHEEL hp at 6800. it is a little more engine than the one in the article, but it is very possible.
Yeeaaaaaaa buddy!! Those are the numbers I like seeing from a 306... Of course I ain't making them, but one day!!

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
All this is lovely. I don't care how many magazines say they make 400 flywheel hp...because that number means nothing IMHO...

If all the OP wants is a huge flywheel number, then great. But I still don't see a 302 with 165s hitting 400 RWHP. Even the 306 making 423 flywheel hp is not putting 400 to the wheels...and I would wager that is just about as much hp as you are ever going to get out of those parts...

The OP still has not answered the question. Is he looking for flywheel hp or rear wheel hp...'cuz one he can get, and the other he can't...

Of course, someone can always feel free to post up a dyno of a 306 and 165 heads putting 400 to the rear wheels N/A and I will admit I am wrong...but I doubt that is ever going to happen...
the OP never said anything about RWHP! and i too doubt you'll ever be wrong matt.....

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
shame that article didnt test any Trickflow heads...

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
shame that article didnt test any Trickflow heads...
yeah, my thoughts exactly, probably because AFR sponsered the study...TFs make even more power...
to the OP, at 400hp, you will need upgrades to every subsystem of your car to support that kinda power...this is one expensive sandbox to play in, budget carefully

1 - 20 of 23 Posts