Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the board but this is my second mustang ('90 GT convertible). I just recently bought the car and it has the factory turbine wheels. I bought a set of AFS Cobra R replacement rims; the fronts are 17x8 and the backs are 17x9.

I have several suggestions for the "right" tires to put on the new rims:

a) AFS' tech department says to run 255/40 R17 around the whole car. However, since their is a difference in the width of the rim, won't this change the tire diameter?

b) I spoke with someone at the tire store where I will have the wheels installed and they suggested 235/45 R17 in front and 255/40 R17 in back. According to their online tire calculator, however, this is going to make the front tires taller by about .15". I definitely don't want a taller front than back tire

c) My buddy who has a 93 GT FB is suggesting the same 235/45 R17 in front but a 265/40 R17 in back. Using the same calculator, this makes the back tire taller. Unfortunately, they don't have the same make on this size for both front and back tire (e.g. I'd have to wait to get them in).

Finally, I ran some numbers and found that if I ran a 235/40 R17 in front this would keep the front tire shorter than the back. If I decided to go this route, would their be a problem running this series tire in front on the 17x8 rim?

I'd really like to avoid adding spacers, etc. if at all possible.

Any input is welcome!

Thanks,
Rooster

·
Registered
57 Posts
i've ran a 245-45-17 on the front and a 275-40-17 on the rear.
i'm the type that likes some real tires out back. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.