Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to replace the standard rear view mirror on my 2007 Mustang GT with an auto dimming mirror with a compass and outside temperature indicator. Is there a certain brand name I should look for? Also, it needs to be easy for me to install without having to tear into anything!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Can't answer your question but FWIW, my SUV has a dimming rear view mirror and I hate it. At night, any headlights behind you dim the mirror such that you can't make out anything, just that there are headlights. I always forget to manually shut it off. At least with a regular mirror you can see colors, shapes, etc...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Mine is called Gentx NVX Auto-dimming Comp/Temp Mirror, by Mito Corporation, Elkhart Indiana. Excelent quality and no issues for 3 yrs. However...you need to secure the temp prob foward of the radiator, and tie into 12v when ignition is on. Wiring is tucked under windshield molding and behind left "A" pillar. It took me about 4 hrs...taking my time. A relatively easy install.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I'd go with a factory ford accessory like the homelink mirror that STLWagon mentioned before. The dealer should be able to do it for you, for a price...

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Yeah get the Gentex one. Gentex is used OEM on many different cars including Fords. I plan on getting one. Get the 50/50. It has a better wiring harness. Also you might want to get the wiring cover. It covers the wires from the mirror to the top of the windshield.
These mirrors can come with compass, temperature, homelink, map lights and even a lcd for a rearview camera that only pops on when the car is in reverse.
Not a common mod but still pretty trick.

·
Registered
164 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Maybe I won't try this on my own.
I recently installed one in my car, it's not difficult at all. Just shop around before you buy one because they can be expensive. Mine has the compass, temp. and homelink. The mirror requires three wires to power it while the temp. sensor has two wires that actually attach to the mirror.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I bought the Gentex online for my '06 GT and had the dealership install it. I believe the mirror was $329-$349 (back in '06--looks like autoanything sells them for far less than that--not where I bought mine). All totaled I think I bought the mirror and had it installed for just under $600. I love mine and it's always worked great!

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have the Homelink mirror. It hasn't given me a problem in 3yrs. Mine has self-dimming, temp, direction and garage door opener on it. The hardest part of the installation has getting the OEM mirror off. I suggest Homelink.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.