Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Alright I am pissed. I got an aftermarket 01 Cobra Bumper Cover for my 2000 V6 and it fits great and everything :thumbsup BUT I have had some major problems painting it. Everytime I have tried to paint it the paint will bubble (lift) ont he bottom. My rear aftermarket bumper was the same way. They are both urethane and the rear bumper all I did was sand and paint it again. But I have tried to fix the front bumper the same way and it will not work. I painted my hood with now problems but for some reason I just can't seem to get the front bumper to work. If you have any ideas of what the problem would be please let me know right away so I can drive it when the weather gets better.

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
dumb question but did it come primed? or did you try primer? sorry if you talking about something completly different. its been along night

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I think my dad mentioned something about a thin layer of primer that already came on it. I know there is a certain paint that you need for certain plastics to make it stick better but I asked my paint guy and he said that not too many ppl use that and they don't seem to have any problems with paint rising.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I understand what you are talking about . I work in a garage and have ran into the same problems myself . These are some of the things I do / try

wet sand and re-prep your bumper . If you are useing a sealer ( non sanding ) , apply in mist coats . small sections of the bumper at a time . Blow drying the sealer ( I use my paint gun for this ) on as you apply . You can also use a heat gun as to dry the paint on faster . As you get the sealer to stick , go over it a few times in real light coats . Let the sealer dry well , 30 minutes or so . check and make sure your surface is smooth . If it is run a tack rag over the bumper and then apply your color . If it has some ruffness then lightly sand and mist more sealer over just the bad spots . SOme of these parts can be a real pain in the butt ! Good luck .

·
Registered
11,433 Posts
98V65speed said:
:mad: Alright I am pissed. I got an aftermarket 01 Cobra Bumper Cover for my 2000 V6 and it fits great and everything :thumbsup BUT I have had some major problems painting it. Everytime I have tried to paint it the paint will bubble (lift) ont he bottom. My rear aftermarket bumper was the same way. They are both urethane and the rear bumper all I did was sand and paint it again. But I have tried to fix the front bumper the same way and it will not work. I painted my hood with now problems but for some reason I just can't seem to get the front bumper to work. If you have any ideas of what the problem would be please let me know right away so I can drive it when the weather gets better.

Thanks Mike
you've got oil on the part. You really have to degrease the heck out of it. Then prime it again with custom urethane primer and paint.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.