Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Okay before I knew why my car wasn't running good and I had the check engine light on, it was because of my Steeda CAI. I knew I needed a tune, so I bought the SCT Cal2, told them the mods I had on it, etc.... I flashed my car last night, everything went perfect, just like the directions stated. The car drove a lot better, back to what it should have been. No light came on. But again, after I turned the car off, turned the car back on, about a minute later after driving, the Check Engine Light comes on again.

What is wrong anybody know. it's almost like, the tune wasn't correct and I still have to much air flow from my CAI going in, like the car could still get more power out of it or something. I just want the darn light to go off and everything be perfect again.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Sorry about that. Use the X-Cal to get the error code and talk to the peeps you bought it from about a (FREE!) tune tha fix that... It could also be something not part of the CAI, fuel lid, what not...?? Just check the error code, that's why you have the X-Cal-2 and not the 1st version... :winks

Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
discofan said:
That doesn't usually happen with the Diablo...

OH WELL!!!

D
The prob was there before the tune! LOL, you Predator guys must feel really inferior jumping any chanse to flame the SCT product... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
559 Posts
kj_cinci said:
The prob was there before the tune! LOL, you Predator guys must feel really inferior jumping any chanse to flame the SCT product... :rolleyes:
Dear Kj_Cinci,

I had the same problem with an error (check engine) light and took the car back to the dealership where they reflashed the factory program into the car... Then went home and added the tune from my tuner... Have not had any problems since that experience...

There are no flames intended, just a little humor...

If you read these forums, everyone is joking and teasing each other about some mod that is different from thiers... Laugh!

D :worship :worship :worship :worship

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kj_cinci said:
Sorry about that. Use the X-Cal to get the error code and talk to the peeps you bought it from about a (FREE!) tune tha fix that... It could also be something not part of the CAI, fuel lid, what not...?? Just check the error code, that's why you have the X-Cal-2 and not the 1st version... :winks

Good Luck!
well i checked the error code, found P0171 and P0174, which is System too Lean (Bank 1) (Bank2)
Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1.
Note: This DTC is very similar to P0174, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.

You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration.

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

• The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters (K&N, etc.) can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled
  • There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.
Possible solutions include:

• In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
  • Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
  • Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure
------------------

See I think it's the CAI, only thing is, I don't know how to use the SCT to fix the problem myself, I guess i'm going to have to call mustangtuning.com who loaded the tune and see what I have to do. I may have to take it in and get it adjusted, crap!! I wish i knew how to do that myself, I believe the tune did not quite get the air/fuel mixture just right. Anybody know how to use the SCT themselves to fix this problem???? I'll probably have to have someone else do it for me.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Dubl10 said:
See I think it's the CAI, only thing is, I don't know how to use the SCT to fix the problem myself, I guess i'm going to have to call mustangtuning.com who loaded the tune and see what I have to do. I may have to take it in and get it adjusted, crap!! I wish i knew how to do that myself, I believe the tune did not quite get the air/fuel mixture just right. Anybody know how to use the SCT themselves to fix this problem???? I'll probably have to have someone else do it for me.
Okay, cool, it's pretty clear it's the CAI... I would not mess with the fuel flow and timing myself but that's what you'll have to do... very hard to do without the full tuning software and sensors hooked up... a dyno helps too! Mustangtuning, OWE you the proper tune! Are they local? Maybe Steeda has it? If you bought you CAI straight from them...??

·
Registered
332 Posts
Did you clear the codes prior to installing the Tuner? If not, reload stock program and reset codes. This can be done by some hand held tuners, or disconnect battery for about 5 mins. Then reload Tuner.

If you do take it to the dealer, reinstall your stock stuff and put the stock programing back in the PCM. The reason is, if they determine the cause is your CAI, they will not warranty it. Means you get to pay. Second, it verifies the problem is in the CAI. Third, if there is an update, it won't overwrite your tuner and render it useless. If you go to the dealer and they do an update with the SCT installed, your hand held just became an expensive code reader. If an update is done, you may need to have your tuner updated as well to work with new update from factory. And last, did you get the tuner from steeda? Seems with the problems of the CAI's, it is a good idea to get programer from the same manufacture or from a tuner that uses the product and is well informed of it's quarks.

The codes you have can be directly related to the MAF or even a vacuum leak. The vacuum leak will have to be common to both sides to set both codes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I bought my Steeda CAI and the SCT CAL2 from - mustangtunning.com

So what I am hearing is this. Hook up the SCT again to my car, load the tune as if I was loading my new tune (but in reality I'm reloading the stock tune - correct? As in, whenever you load a tune they are swapping with each other? )

Then take the SCT, clear the codes that is currently there, the check engine light error codes (DTC's), then hook up the SCT tuner again, and load the new tune for the last time, and that should solve my problem?

IF not then call mustangtuning and inform them?

·
Registered
332 Posts
You can clear the codes with changing the tune. Just don't take it to the dlr with the SCT tune loaded in the PCM. Ifthey do a update, it will render your SCT hand held useless. It will not down load the stock program back into the PCM.

Just clear the codes and then test drive again.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
redbullet said:
You can clear the codes with changing the tune. Just don't take it to the dlr with the SCT tune loaded in the PCM. Ifthey do a update, it will render your SCT hand held useless. It will not down load the stock program back into the PCM.

Just clear the codes and then test drive again.
so is that what your saying i should do, load my stock tune back, clear the codes, then reload the custom tune?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Dubl10 said:
so is that what your saying i should do, load my stock tune back, clear the codes, then reload the custom tune?
You can clear the code at home WithOut removing the SCT tune.

Just don't go to the DEALER with the tuner installed. If the do an up date, it will write over the SCT program.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
redbullet said:
You can clear the code at home WithOut removing the SCT tune.

Just don't go to the DEALER with the tuner installed. If the do an up date, it will write over the SCT program.
right i know i can clear the code, but I don't want to just clear the code, that doesn't fix my problem. Clearing the codes, doesn't fix the problem, the problem is still there, I want to know if my car maybe needs to be tuned more than what was in the tune.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Dubl10 said:
right i know i can clear the code, but I don't want to just clear the code, that doesn't fix my problem. Clearing the codes, doesn't fix the problem, the problem is still there, I want to know if my car maybe needs to be tuned more than what was in the tune.
Unless I missed it, I didn't see where you said that you have cleared the code and it returned. Process of eliminations is the reinstall your stock stuff clear code and retest. if good, install CAI and SCT and retest, if it comes back, contact supplier.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i re installed the stock tuned, cleared the codes, then installed the new tune, and same thing, so I will be contacting mustangtunning.com now with the problem.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Dubl10 said:
well i checked the error code, found P0171 and P0174, which is System too Lean (Bank 1) (Bank2)
Basically this means that an oxygen sensor in bank 1 detected a lean condition (too much oxygen in the exhaust). On V6/V8/V10 engines, Bank 1 is the side of the engine that has cylinder #1.
Note: This DTC is very similar to P0174, and in fact your vehicle may show both codes at the same time.

You will more than likely not notice any drivability problems, although there may be symptoms such as a lack of power, detonation (spark knock), and/or a hesitation/surge on acceleration.

A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
  • The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty. Note: The use of "oiled" air filters (K&N, etc.) can cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled
  • There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor.
Possible solutions include:
  • In the vast majority of cases, simply cleaning the MAF sensor does the trick. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling
  • Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace if necessary
  • Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure
------------------

I had the problem with the codes P0174 and 171 coming up..... It means your engine is running too lean in idle..... The Extreme tune that is in the SCT XCAL 2 allows you to make it run richer in WOT (Wide Open Throttle) But the dealer actually needs to send you tunes to make the car run richer in idle to correct the problem. Give your dealer a call and they can send you new tunes to correct that..... My tuner is from JMS tuning and it took Monty a while to correct it....making the car run richer in the idle mode....and presto!! No more CEL...... I've been running good for over a month now!! Very Happy with the MAX tune...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had a similar problem. I have a 2005 V6 and put in a K & N CAI. Shortly thereafter, the check engine light came on and the engine was noticeably misfiring. Have taken it in 3 times and the second time the dealer changed out one of my fuel injectors. I don't think they have any idea what the problem is. The last time they suggested I remove the K & N and put the stock box back in. I did this about 300 miles ago and have had no problems. This is frustrating because I should be able to put a CAI in and have no problems. K & N does not require a re-tune with thie product. Also, the dealer is treating this as warranty work and I am not paying a dime. I am still trying to figure out what the deal is.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dubl10 said:
Hello,

Okay before I knew why my car wasn't running good and I had the check engine light on, it was because of my Steeda CAI. I knew I needed a tune, so I bought the SCT Cal2, told them the mods I had on it, etc.... I flashed my car last night, everything went perfect, just like the directions stated. The car drove a lot better, back to what it should have been. No light came on. But again, after I turned the car off, turned the car back on, about a minute later after driving, the Check Engine Light comes on again.

What is wrong anybody know. it's almost like, the tune wasn't correct and I still have to much air flow from my CAI going in, like the car could still get more power out of it or something. I just want the darn light to go off and everything be perfect again.
Who did you talk to regarding the tune? This is an important question.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was talking to mustangtuning.com, where I purchased my tuner from, they were helping me correct the issue, by data logging everything and them making adjustments to my tune.

Although, I ended up getting it fixed by someone over on the sct website, www.sctflash.com in the forums. Turns out, the tune that I originally had was tuned for the 80mm size Steeda CAI, and the tune that worked for me was the 90mm size Steeda CAI. See steeda uses two different size CAI, one for 80mm and 90mm.

So all in all, got the tune set up for the 90mm, and no more Check engine light, it's awesome!!! Runs smooth.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts