Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm back. I've had the Stang in the garage all winter (I live at 9,300 snowy feet), and I just broke it out today. The battery was disconnected during storage. About the only mods on the car are a K&N air filter, and an OR H pipe exhaust with MIL eliminators. I never saw a check engine light before. Any ideas what's causing it to come on now, after a long winter of storage? And, even better, how can I reset it and get it to go away?

Thanks!

Pete
96 GT 'vert

S

·
0 Posts
Hi everyone. I'm back. I've had the Stang in the garage all winter (I live at 9,300 snowy feet), and I just broke it out today. The battery was disconnected during storage. About the only mods on the car are a K&N air filter, and an OR H pipe exhaust with MIL eliminators. I never saw a check engine light before. Any ideas what's causing it to come on now, after a long winter of storage? And, even better, how can I reset it and get it to go away?

Thanks!

Pete
96 GT 'vert
Hey Pete! I forgot to see where you're located before I hit reply here so I don't know if you have an Autozone or similar parts store around. They will run the code for free for you if you take it there. Once you get the code you can reference it to see what the situation is. My first thought would be not so fresh fuel but that's the easy answer. Load a fresh tank of gas in her and make sure the cap is tight then disconnect the batt again and re-connect. Drive around for a bit and if you're seeing the CEl again then definately find out what the code is. If anyone you know has a tuner they can use it to get you the code as well.

Keep us posted!

OK - just checked and the closest Autozone is 54 miles away in Gypsom... probably not your best bet unless you'll be in the area...

·
Registered
378 Posts
If I had to guess hmmm o2 sensor maybe. When is trhe lastb time they were replaced? A million to one...

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
In addition to the O2's it could be that the gas is bad, you could try draining, or if its low, fill up with good 93 and run if for a bit, when it gets real low (fuel light on) fill up again with good gas, change the filter, and clear the codes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's off now

I went ahead and disconnected the battery again for 15 minutes or so, reconnected, fired her up, and now the CEL is off. I'll give her some fresh gas soon and see if there's any change. Thanks for the recommendations!

S

·
0 Posts
I went ahead and disconnected the battery again for 15 minutes or so, reconnected, fired her up, and now the CEL is off. I'll give her some fresh gas soon and see if there's any change. Thanks for the recommendations!

Great! All good answers here... it's just easiest to start with the most common solutions when troubleshooting. If you get the CEl again let us know and we can start exploring deeper.

:bigthumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.