Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a catted x-pipe to put on once a year for my state inspection because they finally figured out I dont have cats. Im wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the different brands. Im trying to find one that has good fitment since I will be putting it on and taking it right off, I dont wanna wrestle with it.

Im looking at the one from UPR products, but am open to any other suggestions. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
The only one I'm aware of that seems to have relatively common fitment issues is Pypes, so maybe stay away from them. Other than that, my only word of caution is make sure that an aftermarket catted pipe is going to work for you. In many states, like the one I live in, you will fail based on a visual inspection (Ford supplied 4 cats with these cars, and aftermarket pipes only have 2) regardless of whether or not the sniffer emissions passes. And speaking of sniffer compliance, I'm pretty sure that Magnaflow advertises their pipes to be 49 state (everywhere but CA) compliant. Just double check on the visual inspection thing for where you're at before shelling out $450 for something that doesn't get the job done for you. And honestly, your best bet to avoid any funk at all would be to come up with a stock h pipe if you can find one.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply dude. They dont any sniffer stuff here and their criteria is that the car must have cats on it, they dont care how many. I had some hollowed out cats welded onto the H-Pipe in my 90 GT and it passed every year. My car is so low that they wont even dare try to put it on their lifts, so they have about 2 inches to look under the car, the guy told me they just got fined and it was pretty obvious by the sound and smell that I didnt have any, which I obviously pretended like I had no idea what catalytic converters even were nor had I ever seen the underside of my car :)

I heard the same thing about the Pypes, I think im gonna go with the UPR because they say they have the most ground clearance with the cats, and im already scraping the off road x-pipe a lot.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
You'll be happy with the UPR pipe! :bigthumbsup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts