Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in need of a front fender for my stang. I've read that aftermarket fenders dent easily, flex more, and don't line up like OEM fenders. Is this legit or are they just trying to push the OEM parts?

The body shop wants $250 for a fender, I figured I could do better than that, but things aren't looking too good. There seemed to always be someone local parting out their stangs, but of course, now that I am in the market for one no one has anything. I checked AmericanMuscle and 50resto, after shipping I could save at least $50 so it is a step in the right direction, but are aftermarket fenders worth their price or should I keep holding out for a local part out?

Thanks!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've been debating the same thing myself. I have seen aftermarket fenders for as little as $85, which seems a little too cheap for a quality part in my opinion. But on the other hand, I have been having trouble finding a pair of good fenders at the junkyard. It seems that the cowl drains behind the fenders, causing them to rot from the inside on the bottom. This is what happened to mine, despite my best efforts of 14 years to keep my car in it's best shape. So it might look good on the outside, but may be rotting from behind.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
OE Parts fit the best and last the longest. Many aftermrket parts are not up to par with OE. Thats why the knock off parts are so cheap!!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Are there any NOS fenders out there anymore? I haven't seen any anywhere.

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
You can find them if you look around.i bought an original ford QUARTER for my DROP TOP mustang at CARLILE. Original Ford but cost me a BUNDLE.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang, this is exactly what I was afraid of! :(

I made some more phone calls and was been able to find a couple of jy's that have some Mustangs. Most of the responses were "we don't carry anything that old!". Went to one of the jy's to pull a fender and had the same luck as Lenny, the bottom was rusting through. It's a shame as the rest of the fender was in great shape. Got some original manuals, warranty book, and found an 84/86 TC so the trip wasn't a complete waste. I have a couple other places to check, but it might come down to an aftermarket fender, or fixing the rust on one from the jy because I cannot justify $400+ for OEM.

Does anyone sell patch panels for these? Also, anyone have any experience with Keystone fenders?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.