Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday i bought 3 Mechanical gaugesfor my 89 2.3 LX- oil presure, engine temp, and ammeter. while reading the haynes book, it said if the oil pressure sending unit is conncted to the computer and if it gets to low, the computer will kill the engine to avoid damage. well the stock one is electrical while the new one i want to install is not. would unpluging it mimmik low oil pressure to the computer? or would it be ok to remove it and switch to my Mechanical gauge? and where do you think the best place to mount a set of three gauges? i was thinking where the radio used to be now that that is up where the A/C controls were. any suggestions? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
so, the gauges you bought are true gauges, not electronic sensors..how they work is to actually send oil in the gauge for the pressure etc..ignore the other crap (the oil shut off etc) and just screw the gauges you have in. Did it with my 84LX Race Car (lol yes i race it) fun fun 4 cyl class..anyway..you can bypass that stuff and just hook your gauges up...

hope that helps.

Edit: The radio is a good place but have to look away too much..you can mount them middle dash like a Saleens boost gauge and it will look good too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am not familiar with the dash of a saleen but i will check it out. i think i will mount them where the radio was. that way i wont hit any wires. this is my first car and i would hate to mess it up. thanks for the reply, i was worried if i hooked the oil pressure gauge up, the cars computer would see no pressure and kill the motor. if i have any problems or what not i will post them. thanks a lot, i appreciate it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.