Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it was just me, But I havent been able to track down a good thread on people's experience with all kinds of aftermarket head set-ups. It's come to that time to finally get rid of my ported stock E7-TE's, and with the plethora of heads now on the market, Its tough to make an uneducated decision.

So.. anyone running aftermarket heads... what kind are they? any problems? How do you like them?? Did you have to make any mods before they'll fit? (ex: piston notching, hardend pushrods, etc etc) What kind of power was gained?

Thanks in advance.... I hope this will start a very informative thread...

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I used to have GT40p heads. They were alright over stock but I still wanted more power. It was a direct bolt on.

I now have trickflow trackheat heads and love them. The power gain is so tremendous it can only be believed by jumping in a trickflow equipped car. I am running them with hardened trickflow pushrods (6.75") and guide plates. I am using 1.6 roller rockers with 3/8" studs.

Make sure you change your camshaft while you are in there too to make the whole experience explosively powerful.

If you want to refer to my head cam intake swap article, that was done with the heads I am using now.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/techarticles/headcamintakeswap.pdf

In my opinion heads are where you should start, well , gears could be ahead of heads but they are the biggest gains you can actually feel.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was really thinking about the TFS twisted wedge heads, so that is one more check on the 'to get' list.

I should really throw my mods into my signature. I have gears, and a cam already in there.. so the stock heads, although ported, are the only really stock peice left on the entire car minus a few driveline peices, and especially the engine.

The plan is for a blower, but with those E7-TE's still on the block, it would be a giant kink in an otherwise decently free flowing engine combo... So i decided to swap the heads first before going the blower route, and see what my 306 will do NA before the boost is added...

Ghostdog... those trickflows were a direct bolt-on were they not?? flycut pistons or anything like that required?? What about install time??

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Yes the heads were a direct bolt on. No problems with piston to valve clearance. To swap the heads only it takes me about 4 hours. That is assuming no bolts break and everything goes together smoothly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.