Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reviewing some 250 window stickers in the process of tracking down a 2011 GT Premium, am finding that the combinations of options I want and NAV are not found together, so was looking to do an aftermarket NAV unit that is compatible with the Mustang's features...

Have not used an in-dash NAV, so am starting from zero. Have read a number of threads, but would like specific information....

Looking at the PioneerAVIC-Z130BT as a well reviewed unit... any thoughts/experience with that unit?

OR, why did you choose the aftermarket NAV unit that you did?

What compatibility issues do we have between the Mustang and aftermarket NAV units?

TIA :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
good luck finding a dash kit for it. the only one on the market right now is the dumpy looking (my opinion) metra kit. scosche is about a year late on delivering theirs and they claim it will be ready by end of spring this year...it looks like the one to hold out for

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good luck finding a dash kit for it. the only one on the market right now is the dumpy looking (my opinion) metra kit. scosche is about a year late on delivering theirs and they claim it will be ready by end of spring this year...it looks like the one to hold out for
Thanks... agree... sorta took "minimalist" to an extreme... won't be in a hurry if that's the only choice...

Anyone have experience with the unit?

·
Registered
219 Posts
You can get NAV with any options except for shaker 1000. What options did you find incompatible?

It'd be cheaper to get the NAV/shaker 500 system and add a sub than to go aftermarket on the HU.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you have a Smart Phone and MS Sync don't really need an indash navi.

The app for the iphone works just like a navi, just save your destination then when u get in the car it will give you voice guidance to your destination. I don't miss it in my new car and this is coming from some one thats had an indash unit in the last 4 cars I've owned.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can get NAV with any options except for shaker 1000. What options did you find incompatible?

It'd be cheaper to get the NAV/shaker 500 system and add a sub than to go aftermarket on the HU.
Thanks for the reply...

Hmm.. Shaker 1000 is not on the wish list...

Street price for the Pioneer is $1100 plus install, figure $1500 max. That doesn't provide the electronic dual AC controls, but that is no biggie for the ~$800 saved... The problem has been getting the nav with the other options I want, mostly the 401A interior...

Ideal car is Gray, Silver, Red (or Candy), charcoal interior GT Premium, 6MT, Rapid Spec 401A, Nav, Security, rear view camera, 3.51 gears, 19 inch machined wheels.... HID OK, other options not...

The five 401A cars the dealer has found are pretty bare bones, only one has Nav, but it has no other options... :sadcry: Makes sense to me to get as many of the options I want that I can, add the nav later, and save about 8 Benjamins.

Biggest concern is how/whether the Pioneer fits, any connection "issues" with the Mustang, and any experience to date from someone who has used it..

Am all ears for another solution...

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
The scosche unit seems interesting they've been delaying it for a while now..

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would talk to the OP of this thread:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...hy-does-electronics-package-cost-so-much.html
He seems to feel he can make the same system for $500 :hihi:
LOL.... The large-quantity hardware cost is likely less than that, but no one is holding a gun to our heads to buy them...

Agree that ALL mfgr EPs are overpriced, and I wouldn't mind paying for it 'cuz the headaches getting a non-OEM system to work can be a nightmare, and not worth the time or headaches... My concern is that I want more options on my 'stang than just the EP.....

·
Registered
219 Posts
The problem has been getting the nav with the other options I want, mostly the 401A interior...

The five 401A cars the dealer has found are pretty bare bones, only one has Nav, but it has no other options... :sadcry:
401a and NAV are not a problem. They are completely compatible.

You just might have to order a car instead of choosing from dealer inventory. That way you can get exactly what you want.

As much as factory systems are expensive, they always work well and are fully integrated. The factory EP is so far integrated into the system, I don't think you could easily replicate it. Is saving $800 worth the possible headaches when everything doesn't wok?

Additionally, that scosche system looks like It replaces the factory climate controls as well. I'm not a huge fan of doing that many mods to a brand new car under warranty.

My advice is to do some searching on cars.com for your ideal car, and if all else fails, order a car.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
401a and NAV are not a problem. They are completely compatible.

You just might have to order a car instead of choosing from dealer inventory. That way you can get exactly what you want.

As much as factory systems are expensive, they always work well and are fully integrated. The factory EP is so far integrated into the system, I don't think you could easily replicate it. Is saving $800 worth the possible headaches when everything doesn't wok?

Additionally, that scosche system looks like It replaces the factory climate controls as well. I'm not a huge fan of doing that many mods to a brand new car under warranty.

My advice is to do some searching on cars.com for your ideal car, and if all else fails, order a car.
Ordering a 2012 is on the list, but want to be sure I don't leave a good 2011 behind, along with the $1000+ rebate AND the negotiating power of taking a car off the lot that's been there, taking up space and running up flooring costs for 8 - 10 months while there are more than 100 days' worth of Mustangs in the national pipeline... Could go that way, but not quite there yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts