Ford Mustang Forum banner

Aftermarket Radio help

2K views 9 replies 2 participants last post by  Derfdog15 
#1 ·
I hope this is the correct place to ask this.

I have been trying to install an aftermarket radio. I have the dashkit and the wiring harness and all. I connected the wires according to the diagrams but the radio still fails to work.

It will not power on at all, though if I hit the eject button, it makes noise like it attempts to eject a disc.

This is the radio in question Kenwood - 50W x 4 MOSFET Apple® iPod®-/Satellite Radio-/HD Radio-Ready CD Deck - KDC-348U

After wiring it to the wiring harness that I purchased for my vehicle, there are two sets of wires left with no place to plug into the radio, when previously they attached to the stock radio. This has been stressing me greatly, so if anyone knows a solution let me know!

Thanks!

#2 ·
mind posting a picture? Im going to assume one is probably a remote wire, and maybe tagged with the word remote..it usually is empty unless you hook up subs, then it is hooked up to the amp to turn the amp and subs on whenever the radio turns on. As for the other one, it could be any number of things. a few pictures would really help. Also worst case scenario, best buy does installs for 40 bucks.

#3 ·
It's too dark atm to go messing with it. There are three wires on the harness for the radio that are meant for wiring the radio to a gps and the instructions say that they weren't to be used so I just capped them off.

The wires I connected were right and left front and rear with their (+) and (-). Ground, battery and a yellow one for ignition, I believe. if this helps at all.

But I will definitely get pictures asap.

#4 ·
are all the fuses intact? thats a big one, i blew one on my sub install and my friend and i blow one every radio install we do. there should be atleast one if not more on the actual headunit, and then the ones under the dash, check all of those just to be sure.

#6 ·
like i said thats all you can do, im hoping its something like that not something worse.

#7 ·
Yeah, hopefully it's nothing worse. If a fuse were blown, would it be possible for the eject disc function to operate while the display and all other components could not?

Perhaps...I need to see if the wiring harness would be different for an '07 to an '08.
Though, the diagram for the radio itself showed only a microphone input, along with the three rca preouts. Those being labeled SW, front and rear.

#8 ·
Some research shows that apparently, there is no 12v accessory wire included in the factory wiring harness. This confuses me as to how the stock radio powers up. This also seems to be the case only with the change from a 2007 to a 2008.

Others found a solution through something called "add-a-fuse" and then running a 12v wire to the harness. I was hoping there was a different solution, but I might have to give this a try.

#9 ·
And for anyone else with this problem, Metra 40CR-10, this is the adapter that apparently works plugging your antenna into an aftermarket radio. This piece should work, it seems that others with '08 mustangs have used it to solve their problem.

Just for anyone who needs to know :)

#10 ·
good luck man, enjoy the tunes once you get them all set.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.