Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a poineer radio in my 1968 coupe and when i turn on my turn signals my radio (if its on) turns off and then turns back on like nothing happened. But at night when my lights are on and my radio is on, it will turn on and off with my turn signal. Anybody have any ideas on how to fix it?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would check to see where you wired it into. It sounds like its the circuit that includes your turn signals. I would either wire it to the ignition or a spare key activated terminal on yur fuse holder.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi,
Late model Radio come CD players have two power connections one that should be connected to power all the time to maintain station memory(very light current drain) and the main source which should be wired to the ignition switch side of the fusebox. It definitely soinds like you have got yourself connected to the flasher can power.
Hope that helps

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whenever i wired it in i made sure i had 2 power supplies. the 1st power supply i put back into the original wire that powered the radio. and the constant supply i put into a green wire with a black stripe (i think, i will have to check) cause it seemed to have constant power. All of my stations are still programed in. but i think you are right i am probably into the flasher some how. Does anyone have any good wiring diagrams that could help?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I had that problem when I first put my custom autosound radio into my 1966. The radio would only turn on when I had my parking lights on. It sounds like you mixed the power wires up. You said you plugged one into a plug the original radio was in, you might have put the wire that constantly supplies power for the presets into that one, and then plugged the one that turns the radio on into the flasher. This is just a guess. My radio kept doing it until I replaced my underdash harness. I needed to, because the previous owner had cut it up so much, and moved plugs around, I couldn't figure out the difference between one of the underdash lights and one of the gauge lights. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks i will try to switch the wires around this weekend and get back to you guys. I hope it works.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i found out what the problem was. The problem was that the belt on my engine was slipping. This caused my alternator to not produce as much power so even the little extra power needed to operate the signals dropped the voltage just enough to turn my radio off. In short, i replaced the belt (it was crap anyways) and it worked. :bigthumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.