Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like sunroofs...the wind, the elements. Has anyone heard of an aftermarket sunroof in the works? I understand the roof is curved and there is the glass roof option, but...anyone hear anything?

·
Registered
381 Posts
gawd that would be awfully expensive I'm sure and I don't think I would trust it from leaks.

·
Registered
585 Posts
gawd that would be awfully expensive I'm sure and I don't think I would trust it from leaks.
It's not really. Some years ago I had one installed in my Audi TT which has a highly curved roof in both planes. No leaks ever. Cost me $300 at the time including install.

The better sunroof manufacturers make a variety of curved models to fit most cars. Go to a high end trim shop that specializes in this for best results.....The guy that did mine had 15 years of experience installing sunroofs..

As long as you can handle the pain of them taking a cutter to your roof, you'll be fine!

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Don't do it. Cutting a hole in your roof is never a good idea. And the only kind you can get is a cheap looking pop open type. Just spring for the glass roof. It's great!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, that dude with the cutter looks scary. One wrong move and...oh s**t. Although looks like he did a great job on your Audi...yeah that roof is like a cueball isn't it. Wish I ordered the glass roof now but I didn't.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I plan on getting a Webasto one installed in my 5.0 in a few weeks.

I'll definitely post up some opinions thoughts on it.

I was quoted $1,500 installed. Lifetime warranty against leaks and parts.

The shop I'll be going to is local to me, and is a licensed and authorized Webasto dealer and installer. They do all the cars for the dealerships in South Florida. That is, if you were to go to a dealer down here, (Toyota, Nissan, Ford, Chevy, anything) and order a "dealer installed" sunroof, they are the ones that do the job.

I trust they'll do a good one.

This is not my first 'aftermarket installed' sunroof... My mother had a webasto installed in her 97 Chrysler Cirrus (piece of **** car) - back in 97. Never had a single leak or issue. Car lived in the elements too, this was back when I lived in Jersey and we didn't have a garage.

Anyways that being said, I'm confident everything will be fine.

Unfortunately they can only do a flip out, slide back one beacuse of the way the roof is designed. (Size and where supports are)

When I was there they showed me the exact model and sunroof I was going to get, installed on a Camaro. Looked good when it was open, nice size opening from the interior... etc... etc...

Looking forward to it!

The only thing holding me back is that well I can afford one of two things right now.

Either Sunroof, and Xenon Headlight setup that I want.

OR

My full Suspension up grade.

Can't do both right now. So we'll see.

I really miss my sunroof but man I hate how 4x4 this car looks lol, kills the otherwise perfect body lines.

Anyway, it'll be the same one as on the Tjin Mustang:

·
Registered
933 Posts
are there different types (models) of the Webasto roof?
I had forgotten the name but that's it for sure, a place that does several dealers installs told me $900 for an installed roof..
kinda makes me nervous cutting the roof out like that.. but my last vehicle had a sun/moon roof and I really miss it.
the Camaro factory sunroof I looked was too far behind the driver to really make sense, it seemed it didn't start till it was lined up straight up from just behind the seat back..you had to look up and back to even see the thing..

I'm interested in seeing how yours works for you.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I plan on getting a Webasto one installed in my 5.0 in a few weeks.

I'll definitely post up some opinions thoughts on it.

I was quoted $1,500 installed. Lifetime warranty against leaks and parts.

Anyway, it'll be the same one as on the Tjin Mustang:
Hey Starbai,

I checked the Webasto website and it doesn't look like they have anything for the 2011's. Did you confirm with the dealer that they have the Sunroof for the 2011 Mustang?

If/when you get it installed please post pictures. :shiny: I would be very interested in a Sunroof for my Pony as well. I had an aftermarket Sunroof installed in my Conquest TSI long ago and it never leaked or gave me any mechanical issues. It worked liked a charm as long as I owned the car and worked as good as the day it was installed when I traded it in. Thanks for the info on Webasto...

·
Registered
456 Posts
The webasto site just doesn't have any pictures on a 2010+ mustang, but it is the same model sunroof that they use...

I'll be a whiles away before I can afford to do this on my Mustang... but I promise to update the thread when I'm ready.

This is the place that will be doing mine when I AM ready. Perhaps you can give them a call anyway to answer some questions?
Specialty Automotive Treatments | Fort Lauderdale Florida Auto Accessories

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have no interest whatsoever in a glass roof, but I'm really tempted by one of these... what I'd really like to get is a moonroof, like my last car had. No glass, just a metal panel that tilts and slides back.

Having bought my car at the beginning of December, I haven't had a chance to do a lot of open-window driving yet, but it struck me when I did give it a go that air tends to get caught in the back-seat / shelf area and swirl around pretty strongly when you're going at speed with the windows down. A tilted open sunroof tends to mitigate that.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have no interest whatsoever in a glass roof, but I'm really tempted by one of these... what I'd really like to get is a moonroof, like my last car had. No glass, just a metal panel that tilts and slides back.

Having bought my car at the beginning of December, I haven't had a chance to do a lot of open-window driving yet, but it struck me when I did give it a go that air tends to get caught in the back-seat / shelf area and swirl around pretty strongly when you're going at speed with the windows down. A tilted open sunroof tends to mitigate that.
My Prelude was like that, it was a 4th gen, and it had a moon roof but wasn't glass.. it was solid metal.. it'd open but otherwise no light comes through when closed.

I updated mine to the 5th gen Glass roof, which was a direct swap.

Anyway back to the point... this roof IS GLASS.... but it does come with shade that you can pull closed and allow no light whatsoever to come through.

Another option, get it limo tinted. 5%, or even get it vinyl wrapped. - Zero light.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I am also getting a Webasco installed in my 2011. I called and the quote in Lake Charles La was 850.00 with a lifetime warrenty. IMO this is the best one on the market.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I been doing A LOT of research on these and I am gonna have to disagree on webasto. Not that it's a bad roof. But if ur still researching and want some reasoning let me know. If not it's ok. Ultimately the webasto will likely be just fine.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I been doing A LOT of research on these and I am gonna have to disagree on webasto. Not that it's a bad roof. But if ur still researching and want some reasoning let me know. If not it's ok. Ultimately the webasto will likely be just fine.
Please let us know why you chose signature over Webasto.

Thanks.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Please keep us updated and include a lot of pictures. My father lives in the Ft. Lauderdale area so I could use this as an excuse for a road trip.
I'm actually taking it to Classic Soft Trim.

If you look around online they are a franchise that specializes in sunroofs and upholstery.

I researched them quite a bit, reading everything from Nissan Titan/Toyota Tundra forums to Dodge Charger forums for people that have done the install with them and recommend them.

While the franchise has a great reputation online. It didn't mean much to me, beacuse for all I know my particular local shop could have some 18 year old that just started doing the installs. So I called and 'interviewed' the installer himself. He's been doing this for 20 years and knows the line of sunroofs well.

The roof itself comes with a lifetime warranty, and he personally has been at that location for several years and assures me that Classic Soft Trim will provide a lifetime warranty against leaks.

I of course will be getting this in writing.

The guy could be blowing smoke up my butt so I wanted to take it a step further since I couldn't find reviews of my particular local shop online. So I called signature roofs. The company has been around for a long time and is under new ownership with a new name, but it was formerly Inalfa sunroofs, which at some point was formerly the American Sunroof Corporation.

Some of their top management now supposedly came from Webasto lol so the point is they've been around for a long time.

I called up the company and asked to speak to someone in sales that could give me a good recommendation for a shop down here. They immediately told me about Classic Soft Trim and told me that he had spoken to my particular installer before and knows him to be very knowledgeable.

The gentleman I spoke to at signature was an middle aged guy that was supposedly with the company for a very long time. I urged to be honest with me given that the car is new and I would be getting a Signature Sunroof anyway, and was just looking for an honest and unbiased opinion on an installer. Furthermore that I'd be willing to travel anywhere in Florida with the car to ensure its done right.

He assured me that this shop, and this installer was a good. Knew the product, knew how to install, and that all the warranty info that I was told about was accurate.

So--

Does this mean the car wont leak, have massive wind noise, or be torn apart and done half-assed? Nope. I dont know any of the people I spoke to personally. But I probed as much as I could, and tried to cover my bases by asking the right questions and to ensure they knew what they were all doing... and I feel comfortable now pulling the trigger.

Hopefully it works out.

The whole point of all this is, you can contact a Classic Soft Trim in your area, and begin the process of interviewing the local installer. If not classic soft trim, than the signature sunroof home page has an installer locator that may be of some use to you. Just feel out the installer and see what you think. Google your your local shop and see if anyone has posted any reviews.

Almost no one takes the time to post positive reviews... only negative ones... so I kinda take it as a positive sign that no one has said anything really online about my local shop. Of course this is very glass half full mentality lol but I'm about to let someone cut into the roof of my car... gotta remain positive, after doing my homework lol.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Please let us know why you chose signature over Webasto.

Thanks.
1st. I'll admit that three company name changes in the last decade or two kinda bothered me. I did do my research on ALL three names though and I haven't found a any substantial negative reviews on them. Nothing about mechanical failures, nothing about leaks or anything like that.

2. The warranty that Classic Soft Trim offers on the install/leak and them being a franchise offers some peace of mind for me. I know that even if this particular shop closes 5 years from now, I can still go to another Classic Soft Trim (provided they're not all gone lol) - but they do a lot of dealer leather installs and have been around a long time as is so I have to believe it'll be okay. At least better than a non franchise, one owner, one location shop that lets face it in this market could go anytime...

I did read a story on a forum about an accord owner who bought a fairly older car with an ASC (american sunroof corp again same as this company) roof that was having trouble opening I think? -- Wasn't a leak it was an open/close issue... Anyway he took it to a Classic Soft Trim and they took care of it. Despite him not being the first owner too. Not saying this means anything to any of us.. just that they seem like a reputable company that stands by the products they sell/install.

For the record, I believe most Classic Soft Trims will do EITHER Webasto OR Signature.

The warranty that signature sunroof offers is a lifetime warranty on the actual sunroof hardware itself. This is supposedly only technically to the original owner and subsequent owners of the car are subject to age of the roof. This is fine for me, I will have the car for a while I think and as long as its covered as long as I've got it, which will be at least as long as the factory warranty I think its fair to myself and to whoever the next owner may be, given that he/she wouldn't have had a warranty on the sunroof it was a factory piece either.

3. So Webasto has a great reputation and has been around a long time why not use them? Well to be honest the biggest reason I chose to start looking elsewhere for a roof is that the only roofs they offer that will work with our cars are spoiler style, pop out and goes back.. they are NOT inboard.

I know there is nothing technically wrong with these but I just dont like em' personally. I see several Camaro's down here with that style (dont know if its factory or not) and I just do NOT like the way they look. I'd make my peace with it if I had to but not if there were other viable options.

My mother also had 1997 Chrysler Cirrus (biggest piece of **** ever) but it was fully loaded top of the line model with a dealer installed Webasto sunroof. The roof was about the only thing that lasted/worked on that car 3 years later when they sold it. The roof was especially curved on that car and they say that's why the factory didn't offer the option, but the roof never leaked, and held up to NY Winters (Snow/cold) just fine.

The point is I didn't have a problem with Webasto, just didn't like that it wasn't an inboard design.

Then I started digging a little more and found this: Sunroof Recall - Webasto Hollandia - SunroofCheck.com

Products are allowed defects and if they stand by them I wouldn't write em' off, it was a VOLUNTARY recall. So would that recall affect me from picking one up? Probably not... but its enough to make me think twice that they are not the only end all be all perfect reputation sunroof company out there. Even if they did provide OE sunroofs to many German cars.

I also discovered that Inalfa (Signature Sunroof's previous name) - provided OEM roofs too for a few car companies out there.

So overall I chose Signature for strong factory backing, seemingly great reputation (all 3 company names) inboard design, and the fact that its supposedly an American product is a plus for me.

All of this doesn't mean Webasto is a bad product/bad roof... just doesn't suit my wants, and doesn't provide me any more peace of mind than Signature/Inalfa/ASC does.

Signature makes this "755" series specifically for cars with smaller roofs. The opening isn't HUGE... but then again its not any smaller than the 'outboard/spoiler style' roofs either.

On Final note, from reading reviews online of sunroofs I've noticed a trend of people saying 'oh my friend had that and it always leaked' -- but no one ever seems to have a personal story... its like its a stigma that just keeps getting perpetuated... for all I know it could be the same guy spreading the same story of a bad install! lol -- also Roofs 20 years ago in terms of materials/design may be much worse in the 80's/90's than they are now. I personally have had an aftermarket sunroof as I've said before, or a factory sunroof before and never experienced a single leak ever. Do leaks and horror stories exist? Sure. But 9 times outta 10 when they do its due to an installer botching the job... not the actual sun roof or actual design flaw, or not an inherent problem with cutting into the roof not originally designed for it.

Get a good installer and you should be good to go. HOPEFULLY I did enough homework and mine IS good to go.

Could this evolve into being the first personal bad story online? My first leak? Possibly but I'm really confident it will be okay.
<-- KNOCK ON WOOD

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If the product looks as nice as the literature on the site, it should be a nice addition. I wasn't interested in the glass roof either, and the convertible is a security concern. If a moonroof was an option I would have sprung for it.

Good luck with the install.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Starbai....thanks for sharing that information with us. Based on what you've said, I would also go with the Signature brand. I'm excited to see the results and I think it'll influence others on this site to look in to an aftermarket sunroof.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts