Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a Procharger (centrifugal supercharger) on ten pounds of boost on my 4.6L V8. I should be making a little over 500 at the flywheel, but I am unsure about the exact number and what I'm making to the wheels as I only have a base map tune and have not put it on a dyno. I'm hoping that a few of you can help with a couple of questions I'd like some opinions on. I'm pretty much stock other than the blower, so there's a lot of work to be done.

Gears- 3.73s? I mostly would like to keep a good top end and not drastically murder it like I would with 4.10s (not that I'd ever launch with gears like that either), but I'm also looking for something that won't completely obliterate my acceleration.

Headers - Ceramic? Any personal preferences on brands? Looking for long tube headers specifically for higher end torque gains.

Suspension - Looking for a good all around kit, or good name brands, on shocks, struts, the whole nine yards. The only thing I'm sure about here is a sub-frame connector.

At the moment, to keep from too much information from being thrown around, these are all the questions I'll shoot out. My main concern is doing something about the suspension, as I'm pretty happy with the power gains I'm making at the moment. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Yeah, you have a lot of work to do. I assume you have the P1 Procharger kit that came with a canned tune and some sort of handheld tuner, injectors, piggyback fuel pump, etc. and had somebody install it for you.

1. Get a dyno tune asap
2. Leave your rear gears stock for now until you know what you want out of the car
3. Build up your rear suspension. Lots of threads here on the subject. Steel lower control arms, adjustable upper.
4. If you still don't have traction, get good rubber, bigger, and an adjustable panhard bar.
5. Skip the headers for now

you can't do it all at once. Look at my or other member profiles to see what they've done :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'm running a Procharger (centrifugal supercharger) on ten pounds of boost on my 4.6L V8. I should be making a little over 500 at the flywheel, but I am unsure about the exact number and what I'm making to the wheels as I only have a base map tune and have not put it on a dyno. I'm hoping that a few of you can help with a couple of questions I'd like some opinions on. I'm pretty much stock other than the blower, so there's a lot of work to be done.

Gears- 3.73s? I mostly would like to keep a good top end and not drastically murder it like I would with 4.10s (not that I'd ever launch with gears like that either), but I'm also looking for something that won't completely obliterate my acceleration.

Headers - Ceramic? Any personal preferences on brands? Looking for long tube headers specifically for higher end torque gains.

Suspension - Looking for a good all around kit, or good name brands, on shocks, struts, the whole nine yards. The only thing I'm sure about here is a sub-frame connector.

At the moment, to keep from too much information from being thrown around, these are all the questions I'll shoot out. My main concern is doing something about the suspension, as I'm pretty happy with the power gains I'm making at the moment. Thanks in advance!
Let me give you my input. My GT has the Paxton intercooled kit and was 100% stock when I started so this is what I learned down the road.
Gears- 3:73's are great all around gears wont kill you at cruising speeds w/ plenty of bottom end. With the centri you need a steeper gear to get into your power range quicker.
Headers-Ceramic coated long tubes Kooks are the best but $$$ any major brand, BBK,JBA, etc will do you good
Fuel Pump- I know you didnt ask but if you want to keep it together get the GT500 duel pump complete kit. Its worth every penny of the $800
Guages- Boost, wide band A/F are a must.
Suspension- Upper and lower control arms will help several kits are avalible, really dont see the need for frame connectors.
Dont rely on the canned tune get it on the dyno and use an experianced tuner. I couldnt take mine to the tuner but used Brenspeed. They tune was basically spot on to start. Ran it on the dyno, gave them the info from the pulls and got a great tune, no issues and very safe. Good luck

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
?good top end? Not sure what you mean.... 3.73's will give you a good top, middle and bottom end. 4.10 will give you a better top, middle and bottom end.

The higher the ratio (as in number, 3.73, 4.10 etc.) the better the acceleration. It's not going to kill the top end....

The only downside to going with a numerically higher ratio is worse mpg due to higher rpms (and if you run the quarter, an extra shift).

That said, I went with 3.73. I had them put in when the car was naturally aspirated. Hindsight, with the blower the stock gears would have been just fine.

Why waste money on headers when you could make more power than your car's stock bottom end could handle with the blower?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the quick and clear replies. My original plan was to get the exhaust system done before doing the tune, but it'll be a lot better to put that money into more upgrades into the rear end.

@Killerbee, it completely slipped my mind at the time of my original post but I already have that fuel pump installed, thanks for looking out for me though.

I accidentally left out MPG after top end in my original post - yeah, that's my concern. I do a lot of highway driving. But alas, I suppose I'll come down with a real decision sooner or later.

Thanks again for the heads up, it's great to have people with some insight from personal experience. When I get her tuned I'll post up the specs and possibly a video for anyone interested.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Thanks everyone for the quick and clear replies. My original plan was to get the exhaust system done before doing the tune, but it'll be a lot better to put that money into more upgrades into the rear end.

@Killerbee, it completely slipped my mind at the time of my original post but I already have that fuel pump installed, thanks for looking out for me though.

I accidentally left out MPG after top end in my original post - yeah, that's my concern. I do a lot of highway driving. But alas, I suppose I'll come down with a real decision sooner or later.

Thanks again for the heads up, it's great to have people with some insight from personal experience. When I get her tuned I'll post up the specs and possibly a video for anyone interested.
I wouldnt worry about the MPG, when I changed rear gears and added the Paxton I only lost maybe 1 or 2 mpg but thats probably from my heavy foot.

·
Banned
696 Posts
If you're running the stock MAF, fuel pump, injectors, etc. you're not anywhere near your estimate.

LT's, 3.73's and a decent cat-back will be your typical setup for what you asked
LCAs and UCA will be good for getting off the line solidly. Tires
But check on the MAF, pump, etc. first. If you don't have those a dyno tune won't make up for them. And you don't want to have to go get it re-tuned

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I wouldn't go ant steeper than 3.73s. I have 4.10s in a NA auto and can blow the tires off in the first 2 gears if I want to, so it would deff make your first few gears useless.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.