Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey how would i got about puttin in a aftermarket temp sensor, it would be nice to have one so i know when to kick my fan on..

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Just by the gauge, and it should come with kit with adapters, so you can thread it in place of the stock sending unit.

As far as the Fan, do you have some type of controller for it?

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
If you don't mind a dead gauge, replace the stock sending unit with the sender from the new gauge. Too bad it isn't electrical, you could wire right to the stock sending unit.
If you want the stock gauge to work along with the aftermarket, you can get a Mr Gasket thermostat housing that has a port for aftermarket gauge sending units.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
there is a controller on the fan itself, although i do need a switch for it..
What kind of switch? I use a temp controlled relay, thats adjustable in 3 different heat ranges. No switch needed, its to easy to forget about it.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
All you should need, is a 12v switched trigger wire for the relay. This way the relay has power anytime the switch is on. No need for a remote switch.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
No, the current draw of a fan, needs to be on a relay. I have ran many of fans with just a toggle switch. The switches dont last long. If you use a Electric fan relay. You dont have to worry about the switch. Or it burning up. Trust me, they are easily forgotten, then it may be too late when you remember.

You have a dedicated power wire, that holds the fans amp draw. its usually on a fuse link also. The you have the relay trigger wire, which theres hardly any load on. All the trigger wire does, is energize the magnet inside the relay, this make a connection with the fan and the main power feed wire. You can get a relay like im talking about, at most parts stores. Some are preset to kick the fan on at a certain temp, others have an adjustable setting, for different temp ranges.

Trying to help you here.:bigthumbsup

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well thank you... so the copper wire that is coming out of the fan controls is the sensor?? where to i put that? lol i sound like i know nothing..

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
The temp probe, should go near the inlet hose. Which is the top hose on the radiator. About 2-3 inches from the top of the radiator. It needs to be submerged in water for accurate readings.:bigthumbsup

Heres an installation guide.
http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/31149-99842.pdf

I wish you had one thread for all the questions.:gringreen

LOL, hope im helping you

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
It is, but it looks like its missing the probe itself. Does the copper wire look cut at the end?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.