Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and dolls,

My friend noticed today that my airbag light blinks all of the time when we are driving. I can't actually see the light cause I am too short :)shigrinlmfao:shigrin) but now I check every once in a while and it is on all of the time. Does this mean that my airbag doesn't work:happyhapp?

What should I start checking first to figure out what's going wrong? I really need this to be fixed before Monday when I go to get it safetied:happyhapp:happyhapp:happyhapp!

Thanks for your help,

Steve

·
Registered
711 Posts
Mine does it too. Do you have cruise control? Neither my cruise or airbags work and the light keeps blinking. I have a short or a bad steering wheel. Maybe yours is the same. Instead of fixing the problem someone put a button on my dash on the left bottom of the steering wheel. I hate it cause I have to find the horn all the time.

·
Registered
567 Posts
When the light is blinking, the air bag module is putting out a code. The blinks will come then a pause, then repeat. The number of blinks between pauses is your code. When you lose horn, cruise and have a airbag light, is is usually the clockspring.

·
Registered
711 Posts
When the light is blinking, the air bag module is putting out a code. The blinks will come then a pause, then repeat. The number of blinks between pauses is your code. When you lose horn, cruise and have a airbag light, is is usually the clockspring.
WTF is a clockspring?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My horn works:gringreen, my cruise control doesn't work :weeps, and I am not sure if the air bag light is always on or not but every time I look at it, it is blinking... But I will watch for a "code". I'll post back with the number of times it blinks then breaks, if it does do that:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
A clock spring is the wiring harness that allows the stearing wheel to turn and still provide an electrical circuit to the air bag. It is a big spring looking device that is why its called a clock spring. It looks like a clocks big main spring likr you sometimes see in a cartoon when a clock breaks and the big spring pops out of the clock. Goto a shop and have the air bag system checked for codes. Their are a ton of things that can cause the light to flash.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
go to Mustang FAQ - Engine Tech, Air Bag, ABS, Brake Home Page This lists all the air bag cobes. I dont think you can shoot a trouble code by the blinks of the light. I never did because i have a MOTIS. I dont think the lamp blinks the codes but i could be wrong. never tried it. WARNING air bags should be left to the professionals to trouble shoot. At the minimum get a ford manual on the subject.

·
Registered
567 Posts
go to Mustang FAQ - Engine Tech, Air Bag, ABS, Brake Home Page This lists all the air bag cobes. I dont think you can shoot a trouble code by the blinks of the light. I never did because i have a MOTIS. I dont think the lamp blinks the codes but i could be wrong. never tried it. WARNING air bags should be left to the professionals to trouble shoot. At the minimum get a ford manual on the subject.
Ditto that, blowing your head off tends to make you no fun at parties.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Read the Airbag tech stuff in the link Tom posted. There's some very enlightening info there regarding aibags (among other things).

The two most common problems with the airbag systems in Fox Mustangs are broken clock springs, and failed control modules.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I just found out that the light was giving me a "code" by blinking 6 times and then taking a very brief break and then started again. So maybe someone knows what that means?:headscratch::headscratch::headscratch:

Steve

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I read that site properly it said this: "A Diagnostic Trouble Code 6 indicates that high resistance in the driver side air bag circuit has been, and still is, present." AND "Driver Side Air Bag Circuit- High Resistance or Open"

What does this mean exactly? It said something about changing the 10 amp fuse, but I am not exactly sure... There is soooo much information there it is almost hard to follow, lol.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
From the front page of the 90-91 airbag tech article:

Error code 6 is the most common air bag problem. Chances are it's a bad clock spring. Very easy to replace. Get a NEW one from Ford. They are not that expensive (less than $50?). Do NOT waste your time or money getting a used one from the junk yard that may break soon. The clock spring connects the turning steering wheel to your stationary steering column. So, over time, they have a tendency to break.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Chandler is correct the clock spring does go bad a lot. Just remember the system can be very dangerous so read all you can about it. I have a confession to make. Every time i work on an air bag i am always scared out of my mind. Please be careful and always disco the battery and let the system discharge. They can blow your mind LITTERLY:headscratch: :headscratch: :scratchchin :scratchchin

·
Registered
11 Posts
It looks like both fuse 12 and fuse 18 control the air bag system (at least in my 91) so I would verify that those are not blown first.

If those check out, I'd definitely be leaning towards the clockspring being the issue. The most important thing when dealing with air bags is ensuring the system is completly powered down. As a rule of thumb I like to let the system sit for at least 15 minutes after disconnecting the negative battery cable. This ensures that the capacitor(s) in the backup power supply have fully discharged, minimizing the risk of an "unintended deployment". Also, always make sure the air bag is stored face up when removed from the vehicle or carrying it.

A couple of other tips, is to make sure that the steering wheel is centered and locked when removing the clockspring assembly. Other then that, it's a pretty straight forward procedure. Remove four nuts on the back side of the steering wheel to remove the airbag, remove the nut retaining the steering wheel (According to Alldata, it appears this is a torque to yield fastener so it should be replaced with a new one), remove the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller, disconnect the connections to the clockspring and remove the clockspring. Then just put everything back together in reverse order.

Hope this helps!

Pat

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank-you very much Pat,

I just went down to my local ford dealership to see if they could order me in a new clock spring and it turns out that they stopped making them completely?!?!?! WTF! lol... So the women at the dealership parts department told me to look into getting something from the US. Where should I start looking?

Also, I may add that I have a parts car that might just have a useable clock spring... even though it is not new, I could use it... right?

Thanks, Steve

PS: I will check those fuses just to make sure:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had little luck finding a lock spring online for the fox bodies. I don't see any reason why you couldn't use one from a doner vehicle or even one from a junk yard. Again just make sure the wheels are straight and the steering wheel is centered and don't let the move in either direction during transport. If it shifts, then you have to center it, and I don't have any info on the centering procedure for the Mustang.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Pat

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Pat, I will try to use the one out of the parts car.

I do have one question: Would the clock spring be causing the steering wheel to not turn back to center after I turn the wheel? Because when I turn the wheel, no matter how fast i am going or how much the wheel is turned, it stays turned and does not move without me moving it.

So hopefully that will help as well as a front end alignment once I get the front end suspension parts done.

Steve:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Steve,

I don't think the clockspring is the cause of your poor return to center issue. Steering that has poor centering is typically caused by the caster being off. Caster is the angle of the strut/control arm to the centerline of the front axle. If the angle is towards the rear of the vehicle then it has negative caster, towards the front is positive. Most road vehicles have some built in negative caster as that is what causes the steering wheel to return to center.

As I recall from your other thread, the balljoints are nominal on you Mustang and this could lead to an issue with caster, in addtion the strut mounts could also be leasing to the caster issue.

One other thought on where to obtain a new clock spring, talk to some of the collision repair shops in your area, they may have a lead on a supplier for a new clock spring, since they deal in repairs that typically set off the air bag.

Pat​

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks, that's good to know since I will be fixing that with the suspension "upgrades".

Also, I have been playing with my cruise control, and I know that it doesn't work... So first of all, is there a light that comes on in the dash to let you know that cruise control is on and second, would the clock spring also fix the cruise control and get it working as well?

Steve

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.