Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read Dark_Horse_05's nightMARE post about his Halloween T-bone crash, where his side-impact airbags did not deploy. Has anyone else had the unfortunate experience of being in a side-impact crash in their Mustang outfitted with the optional air bags, and not had them work?

I ordered my car with the side-impact air bag option, and I'm worried that there may be a flaw in the manufacturing process. If so, Ford needs to know about this right away so that they can get a recall out.

Have a blast out there, but BE SAFE!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have probably seen at least 20 different hard crashed 05 Mustangs pictures on the net. Anything from hitting a deer at 50mph to being ran over from behind by a truck. Out of all of the different cars, I think maybe 2 ( honestly only remember 1 ) of them had teh airbags deployed.

Kinda makes ya wonder...

·
Registered
36 Posts
heh

yeah......would u want them to come jumping out at you in 1 mill-a-second & a punch in the face just because you hit the front end and not the side?..i think they'd come out if there was a roll-over or a side impact only.....just because you order the side impacts doesnt mean you want to USE them..so think about it...u drive safe,no worries....some car hits u from the side it'll be worth it big time...if u didnt see those crash test dummies testing u should...lots of impact of the car hits the head pretty hard so yeah i'd order "side impact" airbags just for saftey reasons

·
Registered
622 Posts
supermandy said:
I'm pretty sure the front airbags shouldn't deploy in a side impact. Scientifically speaking it would do more harm than good.
true, but the original post was a t-bone (side impact) where zero airbags deployed.

·
Registered
767 Posts
First sentence in DownWithEyes post says:
" just read Dark_Horse_05's nightMARE post about his Halloween T-bone crash, where his side-impact airbags did not deploy"
So I would assume that yes, he had side airbags.

Reguardless, I have seen many frontal impacts on these cars with no airbag depoyment. Just look at the picture nonsensez9 posted. You can't tell me that shouldn't have deployed an airbag.

·
Registered
633 Posts
From what I read in the original post by nonsensez9, he didn't incur any injuries from windshield nor the steering wheel. The seatbelt held him in place. Why would we want the airbag to deploy if the impact is such that it will not bring the steering column towards the driver or dash towards the passenger? As most of you have seen in crash dummy tests where the front airbag deploys, the impact brings the front dash towards the driver/passenger or the impact is of such force that the seatbelt isn't enough to keep the driver/passenger from the steering column/dashboard. In that case the airbag helps cushion the impact. Personnaly if my body is not going to hit the steering wheel, I would not want the airbag to deploy. Just my .02...

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
scramblr said:
From what I read in the original post by nonsensez9, he didn't incur any injuries from windshield nor the steering wheel. The seatbelt held him in place. Why would we want the airbag to deploy if the impact is such that it will not bring the steering column towards the driver or dash towards the passenger? As most of you have seen in crash dummy tests where the front airbag deploys, the impact brings the front dash towards the driver/passenger or the impact is of such force that the seatbelt isn't enough to keep the driver/passenger from the steering column/dashboard. In that case the airbag helps cushion the impact. Personnaly if my body is not going to hit the steering wheel, I would not want the airbag to deploy. Just my .02...
I would have to agree, I would not want my glasses embedded in my skull if they don't have to :cool:

·
Registered
622 Posts
supermandy said:
hmmm.. now I'm goign to sound really stupid. Are there side air bags? I was assuming it was only in the front.
side airbags are optional

·
Registered
21 Posts
ahh.. then I guess I'm glad I didn't pay for that option. :)

No seriously, I missed that in the original post. I know that there are angles and speeds that make the front airbags go off. Definatly worth a contact to ford though. They're good about customer service (from what I can tell).

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i dont know much about side airbags, but on the NUMEROUS crashes i have worked, i have never seen any deployed. but im guessing until a couple of years ago only a small fraction of vehicles on the road have them. with the frontal airbags most vehicles will only deploy if the speed is more than 15 mph and less than 50 mph. the reason i was told was the airbag is not neccessary in 15 mph crashes, and doesnt deploy at speeds above 50 due to the fact that airbags are designed for a human body to strike them as they are DEFLATING, not inflating. the bags inflate at approx. 250mph. if you crash at a higher speed, say 70 mph, the system will not deploy b/c at that speed your body will strike the bag as it inflates, and not as it deflates, which has been the cause of all airbag related deaths. person hit the bag as it inflated. its like taking a 250 mph punch. :eyebulge: i can also tell you from my experience working accidents, that airbags are seldom deployed. id say 9 out of 10 dont deploy b/c they werent neccessary. i can also tell you that in about 300+accidents i have worked, including several fatalities, the average impact speed is usually 35 to 40 mph due to most hit their brakes before impact. the fastest impact speed i have ever figured up on a vehicle was 60mph, and that only happened once in a T-Bone collision. the bags didnt deploy either. i am wondering if it has to do with the severity of the impact. if you are hit very hard (such as the lady in this particular crash who died on impact) the bags may again do more harm than good. wouldnt have helped her anyway, she wasnt buckled up and was hit so hard she was thrown from her drivers seat clear out the passenger side door!:eyebulge: literally, she went through the door and broke it halfway off its hinges. 2000 honda accord 4 dr. if she had just stopped for the friggin stop sign....

but anyway, back on topic, darkhorse, the reason your bags may not have deployed is that you were hit so hard that the system decided it would be more of a risk to inflate the bag. need to find out 1. the speed the officer determined the impacting vehicle was at. 2. the impact speed requirements for the mustangs system to deploy the bags. that should tell you.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
nonsensez9 said:
I hit a deer at about 70mph - no airbags.
man, nothing, i mean nothing will fugg up your car like a deer (except a bull, seen that too!) and out of the countless ones i have worked (im in a rural area) they dont set off the bags. in your case it was b/c you didnt hit the deer head on, you just kinda clipped it. if its not head on with that small of an object, it wont set off the bags. now if it was a car, it probably would have. one of the officers i work with was running 90mph code 3 to back another officer and hit a deer HEAD-ON in his 96 crown vic. ripped the front end completely off, the hood, went through the radiator, and believe it or not, struck so hard that it REMOVED the 4.6L from its place between the motor mounts, by breaking them and shoved the engine into the firewall. :eyebulge: yes, a deer did that! the officer was medi-flighted and recovered. so did his ridealong, who will probably think twice before riding with the cops again.:winks the deer was completely disintegrated, as it took out the windshield and lightbar on the roof and landed in a pile of gore on the road. i found a 4 pt antler about 50 feet from the car... oh, no airbag deployment either....

·
Registered
829 Posts
Please stay with this....

Geez...I don't like what I am reading here. The accident may be too severe for the bags to deploy?

Can you support this line of reasoning with something from the manufacturer?

My '06 has front and side bags. I ordered them to benefit from them and if that is from them NOT deploying.... shame on me.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
like i said, i dont know 100% about the side airbags, but in traffic accident reconstruction school i learned that about the frontal. in some instances airbags would do more harm than good, if the computer decides that it is either not needed or will likely cause further injury, it wont deploy. you have to remember, airbag technology has come a long way in the last 10 years. its not just a sensor switch anymore that detects impact and deploys the bag regardless of the situation. these new Advanced Airbags turn off if a child is present, some wont deploy in certain situations depending on whether or not you are buckled up, some wont deploy depending on the weight of the driver, or the drivers proximity to the airbag. i too paid for the side airbags. i believe in having all the safety features available on any car that me and my family are going to ride in. as far as documented from the manufacturer, dont have that. i just know what i have be taught, and that i see the real deal almost every day and it seems to match up to what i have been told. maybe HazMat will see this thread. being a fireman, he probably knows more than me about airbags. i just figure out what happened after the fact. he is actually one that cuts people out of wrecks and saves thier a$$.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your insight, GTNOS. I never thought about getting a 250mph punch in the head from an airbag before, but that makes perfect sense. If there isn't time for it to be fully inflated before you make contact, it's still moving at 250mph TOWARDS your head... front OR side! Lord willing, I'll never need the technology to decide whether or not to deploy, but if so, at least I know that the airbag isn't going to rearrange my face unless it's to my advantage! Hmmm... I hope there aren't any cameras in there to help with that decision... or the airbags might just deploy the first time I sit in her! :)

Oh, and here's a thought for you: I believe(?) most accidents occur in intersections, and probably at speeds that would deploy the bags. So, when making a turn through an intersection, I have learned not to cross my hands over the steering wheel (kind of awkward not to do) so that if someone runs into me, I won't have my forearm slammed into my face by the airbag coming out of the steering wheel. It would doubly suck to have your face AND your arm/hand broken.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Air bag deployment criteria

When Do Air Bags Deploy?

ir bags are typically designed to deploy in frontal and near-frontal collisions, which are comparable to hitting a solid barrier at approximately 8 to 14 miles per hour (mph). Roughly speaking, a 14 mph barrier collision is equivalent to striking a parked car of similar size across the full front of each vehicle at about 28 mph. This is because the parked car absorbs some of the energy of the crash, and is pushed by the striking vehicle. Unlike crash tests into barriers, real-world crashes typically occur at angles, and the crash forces usually are not evenly distributed across the front of the vehicle. Consequently, the relative speed between a striking and struck vehicle required to deploy the air bag in a real-world crash can be much higher than an equivalent barrier crash.

Because air bag sensors measure deceleration, vehicle speed and damage are not good indicators of whether or not an air bag should have deployed. Occasionally, air bags can deploy due to the vehicleÕs undercarriage violently striking a low object protruding above the roadway surface. Despite the lack of visible front-end damage, high deceleration forces may occur in this type of crash, resulting in the deployment of the air bag.

d

Most air bags are designed to automatically deploy in the event of a vehicle fire when temperatures reach 300 to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. This safety feature helps to ensure that such temperatures do not cause an explosion of the inflator unit within the air bag module.

Front air bags are not designed to deploy in side impact, rear impact or rollover crashes. Since air bags deploy only once and deflate quickly after the initial impact, they will
not be beneficial during a subsequent collision. Safety belts help reduce the risk of injury in many types of crashes. They help to properly position occupants to maximize the air bagÕs benefits and they help restrain occupants during the initial and any following
collisions. So, it is extremely important that safety belts always be worn, even in air bag-equipped vehicles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts