Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 Mustang with the 200 CID Inline 6 in it. There is a really small crappy aftermarket air cleaner on the engine right now that I'd like to replace with a nice chrome air cleaner. As I was doing some searching online, I found that most of the 66 200 CIDs (non-Sprint edition) came with the blue air cleaner with the snorkel. Is there much of a difference to use the blue cleaner with snorkel over a chrome one with the open side (filter visible between two chrome plates)?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-John

·
Registered
90 Posts
I don't have any experience with the chrome cleaners you mention, but one thing that comes to mind is air temp. With the snorkel-type cleaner, the intake is positioned away from the exhaust manifold, allowing inflow of cooler air. With the entire filter exposed, you'll suck hotter air from over the exhaust manifold. In theory, the cooler air will improve performance, but how much cooler it will be, and how noticable performance will be, I don't have a clue.
Good luck

·
Registered
913 Posts
The chrome air cleaner you describe is the top and filter of the 289HP air cleaner, with a base specially made to fit the 1100 carburetor. Nice piece. The snorkle on the stock air cleaner was designed and positioned to reduce carburetor icing, which oddly is a summer, not winter, phenomenon. In, IIRC, late 66, Ford dropped the snorkle, and the air inlet was a slot running around the base of the air cleaner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the chrome air cleaner and I am very happy with it. The only thing I noticed is that my carb makes some noise which I can hear with the chrome one, and not the original airl cleaner because it is enclosed. The chrome is very sharp looking and fits perfectly. I think I may pick up the chrome valve cover to match at some point. Hope I helped!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts