Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I got my A/C retrofitted/recharged. Now before I go into that, I have to tell about the Rad, it was a 6cylinder rad, and i have the 4cylinder 2.3LX, so it would always keep car too cool, so we would put a board in front of half of radiator.

But once the board was put on when new A/C was with it, the A/C would release what i am assuming was the gas, so we had to take of board, didn't do it anymore. Then the Rad started to leak, yay.

Just put in new Radiator, and it is a 4 cylinder one, but the A/C releases the gas after the car runs a bit......why is it doing that? and how can i stop it from doing so. as for right now, i have removed the A/C belt so I do not lose anymore R134 or whatever number it is.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you sure its R134 that is coming out of the vents? Is the air blowing cold? It could just be humidity which is normal especially if you live in the Southeast. Best way to tell is to check your A/C system's charge while its running, if you notice that the the low side pressure reading is gradually falling then there is probably a leak in your evaporator causing 134a to be blown into the passenger compartment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The place where the gas comes out is under the hood, by the low pressure /high pressure things which get retroffitted, sorry about not telling about that. guess thats an important factor.

but when it comes out, it hits the inside side of car (passenger side) and leaves liquid residue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If its leaking from under the hood, then its probably a hose/and or o-ring leak (could even be the service valve leaking). As for the gas coming into the interior, if the leak is really bad the gas will vent throught the cowl into the interior ventilation system if you are running the A/C in the 'Norm A/C' setting, or in 'Vent'. Anyways if its leaking, take it to a good A/C repair shop and they will pinpoint the problem. :cool:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well thats the funny thing, it doesn't really leak, it burst/shoots out some gas, not all the time, but only sometimes, it comes out of a valve by the looks of it, as if it is there for a reason, but what reason is that? is it because there is too much pressure in it so it must release some? but why does it only do it sometimes is the question :| i think it may be that the radiator doesn't keep the A/C cool enough when its running so then the A/C doesn't like it and releases some gas? i have no clue :(

I guess again, i should have mentioned it shoots out.....sorry. it shoots out as if you had a squirt gun that had little bit of water in it etc. but you had it pumped to max then shot. hopefully that helps with description.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If your car cooling systems is working fine, its not the radiator, make sure the electrical fan is coming on when you turn on the A/C or if you have a clutch driven fan make sure the clutch is in good condition.
Is it shooting out of a valve that is mounted on or near the compressor? If that is case then the system is probably overcharged. The valve is designed to vent freon when there is way too much pressure and as a result can damage the compressor. Every time the compressor clutch cycles on you will hear the click of the clutch engaging and then the hissing sound of the valve venting. That is probably why you see the gas coming out only sometimes. If you have or can borrow some gauges, hook them up and check the pressure on both the low and high side with the system running on MAX A/C and at the highese fan setting. The gauges should read apprx 20-45 psi on the low side and aapx 130-230 on the high side. Another thing, did you have the systems evacuated before you retrofitted? If there is a significant amount of R12 or Air in the system, adding a full system charge of 134a on top will create an overcharge situation. Best thing to to is check your pressure with gauges, if its overcharged, take some gas out. If the system was retrofitted by adding 134a on top of whatever was in it before, have the systems discharged and evacuated by a shop and then add 134a (3 cans and 1 can of either Ester or Low viscosity PAG Oil will fill it up just fine). BTW stop using the A/C until you determine what the problem is because in its current condition it will damage the compressor, replacing one can be quite expen$ive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmm, i thought it may be that it is overcharged, because when we retrofitted it, we didn't vacuum it out etc. and im guessing that canadian tire didn't do so either when they recharged it, now i just gotta find a way to get a hold of the gauges, hopefully that is all that it is, seems like it would be easy to fix i suppose, well cheapest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, been a while since i last posted, but i put the belt back on a few days ago because the car was overheating, so my cousin said to put the belt back on for the fan to work....

now i put the belt back on, but now for some reason the fan still doesn't work....possibly the fan is dead? also i tried out the A/C, no shooting gas in hood, but its not blowing out cold air....but perhaps it is cold, just doesn't feel that way to me since it is winter etc.

but if the A/C doesn't work now, then im saying to hell with it :p allready cost me 220 to get it fixed in first place, but now it seems the fan is all out of wack, what temperature should the fan kick on at? i got it up to the M on the temp gauge, and then decided to stop because of the fumes within the carport :|

but any help on this would be good :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
who needs the a/c, its to heavy and thats what they make roll down windows for:winks lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Some Tips and Tricks for Maintaining Your Air Conditioner

Some Tips and Tricks for Maintaining Your Air Conditioner

1. Outside you house, the Air Conditioner Condenser Rings should be kept fresh. Vacuum out any trash that may have dropped in or around it. If your rings require a chemical cleaning allow a trained technician to do it.
2. Always cut any shrubs or plants around your condensing device and sustain two feet of approval around it.

3. Keep your rings fresh inside the property as well. If your rings are not easy to get to, they may need to be washed by a professional.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts