Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
jokbat05 said:
thanks do you know anything about JLT
I have the JLT and love it! The sound alone is enough to put one in. But.... You will need a tuner like the Diablo or SCT. The extra air will make the engine run lean, as with most of the other kits out there. The increase from the tune and the JLT is incredible, it feels like a whole new car. I picked up quite a bit of HP and TQ with both. Sitting at 285rwhp and 310rwtq with the canned JLT tune. Picked up even more across the board with a custom tune from BamaChips. (Doug)

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Do a search on here for CAI (Cold Air Intake) and you'll get 1000's of hits, then study and choose...

The C&L is very popular, can be ordered with a tuner that you need.
The JLT is very powerfull but (was?) poor design, tuner needed and can be inkluded...
K&N is the only one that has PROVEN it works without a tuner.

CAI alone gives 10-15 more RWHP a tune the same so around 25 total for CAI + tuner, 10-15 fro the K&N unit...

·
Registered
172 Posts
There's also CAI's available from:

AFE
MAC
Steeda
S&B
MRT
Ford Racing

I'm told that AirAid is developing a CAI for the 05/06 Mustang...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Is it just me, are is a CAI with a metal intake tube a bad idea? Hrrm, heat-conductive metal for my airflow...how bout...no? Which of the CAIs is made with good old heat-resistant ABS? Besides the stock one, that is.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Hal900x said:
Is it just me, are is a CAI with a metal intake tube a bad idea? Hrrm, heat-conductive metal for my airflow...how bout...no? Which of the CAIs is made with good old heat-resistant ABS? Besides the stock one, that is.
I agree with you (unless you're going to add a 200 shot, or something crazy hot) but most on here disagree and will now beat us in the head... :sterb:

I honestly don't know but it can't be ultimate, then again the front mounted unit that goes right on the TB should be but is not, nor is the hood scoop... so I give up, I'll just compress, cool, and FORCE my air in there!!! :evillol:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree as well. I was told or read (dont remember which) that you can get the same gains from adding a k&n high flow filter to the stock air box and to save the cash for a 62mm TB mod???

·
Registered
867 Posts
It's a good point. My C&L gets pretty hot. Since I show them as well as race them I'm willing to live with the issue. Besides - how long does the air spend going through the tube? I have a Steeda CAI I'm not using, it was installed for about a week while I was waiting for my C&L. I actually like the sound of the Steeda better than the C&L. It has a large bore filter with a velocity stack built into the MAF. Small dogs and children need to stand clear under wide open operation :kooky:

·
Registered
394 Posts
redfire GT said:
I agree as well. I was told or read (dont remember which) that you can get the same gains from adding a k&n high flow filter to the stock air box and to save the cash for a 62mm TB mod???
Anyone know for sure how much HP you get from just dropping in a K&N filter into the stock box?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
KiLLeR_WoMBaT said:
Anyone know for sure how much HP you get from just dropping in a K&N filter into the stock box?
I saw one with the K&N drop-in plus axle-backs for the grand today of almost 7 RWHP before tune, total of 19 after tune...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am willing to bet that for most people, their first tune comes as the result of a CAI installation. The reason I mention this is because I think it is that tune that grants all this HP, not the CAI itself.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Hal900x said:
I am willing to bet that for most people, their first tune comes as the result of a CAI installation. The reason I mention this is because I think it is that tune that grants all this HP, not the CAI itself.
It is actually pretty much exactly 50/50... with the tune providing more drivability / 'fun-factor' gains and the CAI ALL of that sweet sweet intake GROWL!

·
Registered
149 Posts
K&N just announced the new Typhoon polished cold air intake kit for the Mustang GT. They call it Series 69 -- great number! Part number is 69-3523KP -- click on part number for the link.

Dave

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have the older K&N and was going to ask them what they would charge just for the polished piece. Maybe that is a bad picture or me or whatever, it just doesn't look that good to me. Guess I'll just stay with the plastic pos.

·
Registered
149 Posts
sandyman said:
I have the older K&N and was going to ask them what they would charge just for the polished piece. Maybe that is a bad picture or me or whatever, it just doesn't look that good to me. Guess I'll just stay with the plastic pos.
I have the older kit as well (63 Series Aircharger) and I'm sticking with it. I think the extra bucks for the polished is a waste -- the black looks better.

Dave

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have the JLT and love it. It is made of PVC pipe, that is until you get near the cone. There is a metal band there that supports the air filter. Love it! Oh, I have the SCT 2 tune on my car and it rockets!

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts