Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just want to share some mods I did to improve the air flow in different areas on the car. Here are some pictures.
The hood vent Is now functional
The grill area for the air filter box all the holes are now functional on both sides of the grill
Just under the park light / turn signal is now functional
The air intake tube has a sleeve inside for smoother air flow just in the area where all the round circles are and the bubble just under the air tube has been deleted like an aftermarket air intake tube and the song canceler has been cap /plug off
Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Grille Automotive tire
Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design
Camera lens Camera accessory Reflex camera Digital camera Lens
Automotive tire Grille Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Grille Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Camera lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics Lens Digital camera
Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Rim Gas

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I just want to share some mods I did to improve the air flow in different areas on the car. Here are some pictures.
The hood vent Is now functional
The grill area for the air filter box all the holes are now functional on both sides of the grill
Just under the park light / turn signal is now functional
The air intake tube has a sleeve inside for smoother air flow just in the area where all the round circles are and the bubble just under the air tube has been deleted like an aftermarket air intake tube and the song canceler has been cap /plug off
View attachment 787555 View attachment 787556 View attachment 787557 View attachment 787558 View attachment 787559 View attachment 787560 View attachment 787561 View attachment 787562 View attachment 787563

Do you feel or see any improvements from this?

·
Registered
12,131 Posts
Cool stuff, thanks for posting ... I was wondering the same thing ... where does the added air flow go, what does it do, and is there a benefit or improvement?

·
Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
4,805 Posts
I have a few observations here.
Silicone is a very risky thing to use on any air intake parts and it sure looks like black RTV silicone was used here. Any residual silicone vapors can easily contaminate an MAF sensor.
Ford has been using a flexible corrugated air intake design for many decades now. If it actually hurt performance in any measurable way I think that would be a pretty easy thing for them to reengineer yet they never have. I get the quest to "free" up HP but that probably isn't going to do it. I mean even the mighty 760hp GT500 uses a corrugated flexible intake.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior

Tbh I don't know if it would theoretically even hurt or help especially since it technically decreased the inner diameter of that section and it doesn't look smooth in there now.
Hacking out where the hood vent is really concerns me. As a heat extractor, that wasn't designed to do anything but vent some extra heat from the engine compartment. Now that it's a wide open hole to the elements any rain or a car wash will introduce water on top of the engine and also between the hood and the underlaying insulation. I think that this was a very bad decision especially on an almost brand new car.
Opening up or cutting out the areas on either side of the bumper under the turn signals would only make a functional difference if there are factory tubes or ducting going to the front brakes. I doubt there were since these were closed off from the factory on your model. Otherwise, you may have actually decreased aerodynamic efficiency by doing that and caused other unplanned consequences(air where you don't want it to go, buffeting, etc). Ford does wind tunnel tests on everything before production.
What I do think may have been a decent idea is the sound tube deletion. I don't see any benefit to that factory feature at all. I think that it's a waste of engineering and just unnecessarily added to the final cost of the vehicle.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Can’t comment on the 550’s as mine is a 197. Have always questioned hood vents as even with ours, heavy rain and you might as well be pouring buckets of water into engine compartment. I think those are designed to extract hot air and rain may be prevented from entry by forcing hot air out through those, have seen stranger? I cannot tell if sound tube does anything at least on my car… can’t hear amplified sound or air swoosh from intake system. Yes, Bosses did have the hosed brake cooling feature and had these strange orange hoses for brake link-up. Geeze, I have coil of orange fiber optic conduit- same stuff. Ford‘s answer to mounting those are tie-wraps (sp?) lol. With open side-pipes and Corsa Xtremes, oh well for additional noise maker stuff.

Indeed, RTV does produce a vinegar smell and vapor, won’t even mention super-glue. Finger print lifting medium. But will additional air flow as such affect aerodynamic stability? Another current post on air splitters, just questions that arise is all…

However, I would probably of done same thing. Remember my ‘67 Fastback with Buick side vents set in middle of hood covered with scoop and modified air bonnet to accept forced air intake. Was this the forerunner of Ram Air lmao? What we won’t think of next…

Reminds me… hate those fake scoops on the ‘07’s for example. Son in law had such and the thing blew off hood one day. Ford could of done way better!!!!

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Can’t comment on the 550’s as mine is a 197. Have always questioned hood vents as even with ours, heavy rain and you might as well be pouring buckets of water into engine compartment. I think those are designed to extract hot air and rain may be prevented from entry by forcing hot air out through those, have seen stranger? I cannot tell if sound tube does anything at least on my car… can’t hear amplified sound or air swoosh from intake system. Yes, Bosses did have the hosed brake cooling feature and had these strange orange hoses for brake link-up. Geeze, I have coil of orange fiber optic conduit- same stuff. Ford‘s answer to mounting those are tie-wraps (sp?) lol. With open side-pipes and Corsa Xtremes, oh well for additional noise maker stuff.

Indeed, RTV does produce a vinegar smell and vapor, won’t even mention super-glue. Finger print lifting medium. But will additional air flow as such affect aerodynamic stability? Another current post on air splitters, just questions that arise is all…

However, I would probably of done same thing. Remember my ‘67 Fastback with Buick side vents set in middle of hood covered with scoop and modified air bonnet to accept forced air intake. Was this the forerunner of Ram Air lmao? What we won’t think of next…

Reminds me… hate those fake scoops on the ‘07’s for example. Son in law had such and the thing blew off hood one day. Ford could of done way better!!!!
The hood liner diverts the water off to the outer edge of the hood so water doesn't just drop on the engine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts