Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have done a little research and think that I am going to put in one of the air ride suspension kits into my 67 coupe.

I was wondering if anyone here had any practical knowledge of them? Either, own, owned, drove, or have ridden in a mustang running this setup? How does it drive in the corners? Launch? Cruising? I am leaning towards this because of comfort, ease of adjustment from cruising to hot roding, and cost, I can do the front and the rear for around 3.5k vs. 3-6k for just the rear for most of the conventional setups (RRS, EVM, TCP) that cost is figuring on using my own compressor and control setup.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
I have not drove a early mustang with it yet.But there kit on a last gen Camaro handled a lot better and rode smoother then a caddy.That 3.5k is that with tubular a arms and some kinda 4 bar in the rear.If you just put air bags with the rest of the suspension stock its not gonna handle all that much better.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 3.5 would be for a 4 link rear (think its triangulated) and then just replacing the front shocks with the double bag and then buying my own compressor set up (the low rider community has the same compressor setup for half the cost of alot of the hotrod shops) I would have to eventually replace the front arms, but figured that worst case I could get the suspension now and replace arms later. I just want to make sure that I am going to be getting something that I want. I would hate to spend that much money on a suspension and then not like it and have to start all over. So I figured I would see if I could find some running it and see what they thought.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The only thing that bothers me about the air ride set ups is the longevity of the rubber material of the bags. Are they susceptible to dry rot? If so, I can imagine the problems.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Having air shocks on several cars in the good old days, I can tell you to make sure you route those air lines away from the exhaust or anything hot. Granted the airbag setup has come a long way from air shocks, but I think the principle is still the same. Lose air and you may have a problem if everything isn't set up properly.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The reason I asked is that rubber seems to have a tendency to deterioriate quickly here in Northeast Florida, high humidity and a fair share of ozone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.