Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is the air silencer worth removing? i've still got a stock filter, was just digging around for the hell of it today and my filter looks dirty as hell, so i was gonna replace it anyways. so when i replace the filter soon should i take out the silencer? btw, anybody have a pic of a filter that should be replaced? i haven't done it before cuz i've only had my car since april, so what looks dirty to me might not be, rather not buy a new filter less i have to.

car info in sig.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
PancakeOfDoom said:
is the air silencer worth removing? i've still got a stock filter, was just digging around for the hell of it today and my filter looks dirty as hell, so i was gonna replace it anyways. so when i replace the filter soon should i take out the silencer? btw, anybody have a pic of a filter that should be replaced? i haven't done it before cuz i've only had my car since april, so what looks dirty to me might not be, rather not buy a new filter less i have to.

car info in sig.
if you hold it to the sun, and it's dark, it needs to be replaced, or 6,000 miles whichever's 1st.

leave the silencer in, it's worth 5 hp on hot days since it keeps fan wash out, and helps warmup on cold days.

On 60-65 degree days, you might lose some hp . . . but just switching to a K&N will free up 5-7 hp (the same as most metal CAI's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
alright, so if i switch to a K&N filter do i take the silencer out? i've read this a couple places. or is the K&N larger than the stock housing? also..., you mentioned metal CAIs, which i've heard of before and it makes sense seeing as how the metal would absorb the heat, then transfer it to the air being transported. what i'd like to know is how much HP a plastic tubing CAI would free up.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
PancakeOfDoom said:
alright, so if i switch to a K&N filter do i take the silencer out? i've read this a couple places. or is the K&N larger than the stock housing? also..., you mentioned metal CAIs, which i've heard of before and it makes sense seeing as how the metal would absorb the heat, then transfer it to the air being transported. what i'd like to know is how much HP a plastic tubing CAI would free up.
No, the K&N will slip right in. If you go with a CAI it'll have it's own filter.

if you take out the AI silencer you will lose hp in all but the most perfect conditions. If you live in an environment that is around 60 degrees year round, you can get rid of the AI silencer.

A plastic CAI is worth 5-7 more hp over a drop in K&N (due to turbulence reduction), which is 10-14 hp over stock, depending on conditions

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, cool, i'll grab the filter this week, but i wont grab a CAI for another couple months..., so when i do grap a CAI should a regular plastic tubed K7N be fine? or would it be better to have it run into the fenderwell (only seen those from metal ones tho...)?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, cool, i'll grab the filter this week to last me for a while, cuz i wont grab a CAI for another couple months..., so when i do grab a CAI should a regular plastic tubed K&N be fine? or would it be better to have it run into the fenderwell (only seen those from metal ones tho...)?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
PancakeOfDoom said:
ok, cool, i'll grab the filter this week to last me for a while, cuz i wont grab a CAI for another couple months..., so when i do grab a CAI should a regular plastic tubed K&N be fine? or would it be better to have it run into the fenderwell (only seen those from metal ones tho...)?
that's all open to debate.

theoretically, the best is a straight shot, but they don't make those in plastic, fenderwell is 2nd best, it's where the coldest air is. but it's a pain to take out and clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.