Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Shanghai and have what I understand is the only s197 in Shanghai, so I am very reliant on you guys for advice and help in fixing problems with the Mustang, none until today.... The Ford guys in China won't touch the car coz they are think that this is a ferarri and not a Ford vehical, ha ha, even after they checked and realized it is a Ford, they still wont touch it...

I have been tracking my car on weekends and tend to slide around in the stock seats too much and not wanting to throw out the factory seats, I installed a corbeau harness bar and 4 point harness today, the harness was mounted on the harness bar for the shoulder straps, but for the two on the hip, I installed by linking to the rear bolts on track-rail under drivers seat, all good until I took it for a drive and then the air bag light came on, flashes at first and then it just stays on and wont go away...

I know it probably wont explode in my face but annoying as hell... I plugged the SCT X3 in and it say no DTC's...

My question is that even though we didn't touch sensors, is it possible to screw it up by slipping the bracket for the harness under the seat railing? if I do go back and retrace the steps to fix this, will the light go away, or will I have to ship my car back to the States to fix it? coz I don't think I can clear this code with my handheld... or will it go away by itself if I find a loose connection and reconnect, lastly, is there a weight sensor under the drivers side....

For clarity, I touched the stock upper/lower seatbelt mounting points to bolt in the harness bar....

Thank you for your assistance in advance and waiting for help in anticipation....

·
Registered
415 Posts

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
You can't clear it with the X3. Can you take some pics of what you did so we can see what you are using? If I remember right the sholder harness has a sensor as does the seat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can't clear it with the X3. Can you take some pics of what you did so we can see what you are using? If I remember right the sholder harness has a sensor as does the seat.
Thanks for your reply, I spoke to the guys from Corbeau and they reckon they have never had an issue with airbag lights coming on from installation of the harness bar, according to their instructions, in order to install the harness bar you must mount it on the seat beld mounting bolds, so I am very curious about the shoulder harness sensor, coz if there is a sensor, their instructions have no reference to it at all....

Be interested in this issue, if anyone can give a heads up..

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check to see if you may have disconnected or shorted out a harness under there.
Okay, thank you, I will check this tomorrow when the sun is up.... would like to know if I did find a loose harness and reconnected the harness, will be airbag light go off after its own check, or will I need to get Ford to get rid of it for me.

Also, the guy who installed the harness bar had unbolted the rear seat track bolt, lifted the track about half an inch, slid the hip belt harness bracket onto the stationary bolt and then replaced the seat track back on the bolt, would this cause the seat track position sensor to alarm the air bag - SRS. wonder if this might be the problem. The people at the FORD shop here in China are like doctors, they wont tell you what is your problem, they had a look today and just told me that they couldn't be sure what the problem is and said that I should get new parts, but said they couldnt get it for me, I should do it myself, order the parts that is, crazy...

How would one identify a shorted out harness?

Once again thanks Mark, you have been a great source of help and info for a lone mustang all the way out here in China...

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Yes if it is not tight when conneted the light will go off. I take my seat out every friday for the track and that light stays on untill I hook it up. Listen for a click then you will know it is hooked up. There should be 2 connections,both should click. Push them in hard. The new connector may take a little extra push. If that is not it , look for a short in the wiring as mentioned.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I went to the local Shanghai Ford shop and had them look it over, they plugged the IDS in and told me they read a unstable current in the Passenger side of the car showing up, but could not identify whether it was coming from the belt sensor, seat position sensor or belt clip sensor, they said the fix was easy, order new sensors and connectors from states and would take 2 months, BTW, they did not look at anything else beside sticking the IDS in the OBCII.....600 USD including transportation...

I have been told that I am crazy about my car from the Mrs, so it was really bothering me, Sunday I decided to uninstall the Corbeau Harness Bar and Harness belt, after I took everything off, the Air Bag light went away...

So I check by installing each contact and mounting point individually, plugging and unplugging the battery was a real pain in the rear...

Finally, I identified the problem was the Passenger lower seat belt mounting point, the plastic guard on the inner side got in the way of the grounding wire for the seat belt retention sensor and you need to cut/widen the hole on the plastic guard slightly and place a thin washer to ensure that there is contact between the metal part of bracket and bolt and sensor wire...

Funny that I called Corbeau before the fix and they said they there were no problems reported and they could not help with suggestions for the airbag light problem, am I the first customer for this product on a S197? coz studying the problem and the car, I would say that this would be issue on any install based on their very vauge instruction because their instructions do not mention the plastic guard and the thickness of the guard would definately get in the way of the ground wire....

Still I like the Harness bar, on the track, I am now fixed in my seat and the difference in time has improved....

Just a heads up for those that are thinking of installing this harness.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
So I went to the local Shanghai Ford shop and had them look it over, they plugged the IDS in and told me they read a unstable current in the Passenger side of the car showing up, but could not identify whether it was coming from the belt sensor, seat position sensor or belt clip sensor, they said the fix was easy, order new sensors and connectors from states and would take 2 months, BTW, they did not look at anything else beside sticking the IDS in the OBCII.....600 USD including transportation...

I have been told that I am crazy about my car from the Mrs, so it was really bothering me, Sunday I decided to uninstall the Corbeau Harness Bar and Harness belt, after I took everything off, the Air Bag light went away...

So I check by installing each contact and mounting point individually, plugging and unplugging the battery was a real pain in the rear...

Finally, I identified the problem was the Passenger lower seat belt mounting point, the plastic guard on the inner side got in the way of the grounding wire for the seat belt retention sensor and you need to cut/widen the hole on the plastic guard slightly and place a thin washer to ensure that there is contact between the metal part of bracket and bolt and sensor wire...

Funny that I called Corbeau before the fix and they said they there were no problems reported and they could not help with suggestions for the airbag light problem, am I the first customer for this product on a S197? coz studying the problem and the car, I would say that this would be issue on any install based on their very vauge instruction because their instructions do not mention the plastic guard and the thickness of the guard would definately get in the way of the ground wire....

Still I like the Harness bar, on the track, I am now fixed in my seat and the difference in time has improved....

Just a heads up for those that are thinking of installing this harness.

Good info. Unfortunately it seems most companies these days are only worried about selling their product....not supporting it :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.