Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please don't assume your airbags work! This is my car on deer. The seatbelt worked fine, but I would have expected the airbag to deploy. It did not. Quite a jolt at 100kmh (or there abouts). Waiting for the insurance people to decide what to do. I'd prefer a new car but they might have other opinions. Keep you posted. in the meantime I highly recommend wearing the seatbelt.

curious way to resolve my antifreeze dilemma :sterb:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,316 Posts
nonsensez9 said:
please don't assume your airbags work! This is my car on deer. The seatbelt worked fine, but I would have expected the airbag to deploy. It did not. Quite a jolt at 100kmh (or there abouts). Waiting for the insurance people to decide what to do. I'd prefer a new car but they might have other opinions. Keep you posted. in the meantime I highly recommend wearing the seatbelt.

curious way to resolve my antifreeze dilemma :sterb:
Not to mention satisfy your venison craving.
Seriously though, you're lucky that deed didin't come up over the hood. Glad you're OK.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
from the looks of the damage, airbag deployment was not neccessary. Integrity was maintained and very little of the crumple zone actualy crumpled. The computer processed the severity and saved you the replacement cost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,003 Posts
alfman9 said:
The computer processed the severity and saved you the replacement cost.
And your face, wrists, ears (they are loud!), etc... At that speed the computer knows that if it's a heads on, you're dead, it prolly sensed a touch in the corner, figured you might wanna be able to see and steer... plus your face and arms... same if you get hit in the rear... in the side, you won't even have to wonder, it'll be there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alfman9 said:
from the looks of the damage, airbag deployment was not neccessary. Integrity was maintained and very little of the crumple zone actualy crumpled. The computer processed the severity and saved you the replacement cost.
it's not costing me any more if it did or if it didn't. I'd prefer to have airbag in my face than deer arse... but it didn't come to that. I would have knocked a few teeth loose without the seatbelt. And judging from the skidmarks, I'd have to say the antilock breaks didn't anti-lock very well. After the coolant spilled on the road the car did a 360 out of control. it stayed on the road, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
impact was too high...airbag sensors are in/behind the bumper in most cars...there is little damge from what I can tell to the bumber-level part of the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had thought it wasn't particular to the position of the impact, but rather how fast the car accelerated in the direction opposite the force. Earlier models used one or more pendulums that closed a circuit when and only when the threshold g-force is attained. After a bit of Googling I've learned that they've become a lot more sophisticated, using an array of sensors - including seatbelt usage and seat position. The data is probably still in the car's computer somewhere. It'd be interesting to see. One observation I forgot to mention was the the airbag cover on the steering wheel was dislodged somewhat. could have been knocked loose by something, I guess. Anyways... I'm not so upset about the airbags anymore. And it looks like they're going to fix it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$12 grand and counting. We had our first snowfall so the body shop was a little busy. Anyways, they've pulled it all apart and there is no structural damage. Everything can be fixed/replaced. I hope they do a good job with the paint. Hell of a way to get those few rock chips fixed!! :dunce:
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top