Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at my stock air box and I noticed there is a plastic extension tube that attaches to the airbox, it pops right off. After taking it off it looks like it allows more air into the airbox but that comes with a prices, a louder intake sound. :D

I just took my car for a quick run and it sounds a little louder at WOT and maybe a little more punch to it.

Anyone ever done this? Sorry I'm new, this may have been talked about before.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yeah its a silencer. Its a good inexpensive "mod"(?) it'll hold you over pretty good until you get an aftermarket C.A.I

·
Registered
48 Posts
Will this mess with my sensors if I do this inexpensive mod?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I drove around for a good 20minutes afterwards, nothing happened here. Anyone else tried it?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Before I installed the Bullitt intake, I took the silencer off and ran it that way for quite a while. Had no problems with it. The only negative I can see is that it may let more warm air in since the silencer closes the gap to the engine compartment and intakes from the wheel well area.

Frank

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before I installed the Bullitt intake, I took the silencer off and ran it that way for quite a while. Had no problems with it. The only negative I can see is that it may let more warm air in since the silencer closes the gap to the engine compartment and intakes from the wheel well area.

Frank
Duck/Frank: what tune do you have for your Bullitt intake?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I thought you needed to keep your engine as cool as possible. If the engine gets hotter, will this burn more gas? Will taking off the silencer overheat the engine and possibly warp something?

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
The engine's PCM will adapt to small changes in the air flow. Nothing will melt or fall off, :D

·
Premium Member
72,878 Posts
I thought you needed to keep your engine as cool as possible. If the engine gets hotter, will this burn more gas? Will taking off the silencer overheat the engine and possibly warp something?
It won't hurt anything but the warmer air willl reduce performance. Probably not anything measurable though.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I've had the silencer off of my car since my car was only a few months old and have not had any adverse effects since. Not much of a noticeable difference though. Maybe just better peace of mind knowing that more air can get in if needed.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You're not going to hurt anything. It just may get a little hot air mixed in with cold air. Best way to solve it all together would be to get yourself a nice cold air intake. However you will be fine running it just like it is until then. you wont see much of a difference if any other than that little more of a growling hollow sound from under the hood.

·
Registered
250 Posts
So, to some up:

A bit more air = possible tiny gain it HP

Warmer air = possible tiny lose in HP

Well, you do get that louder intake sound though, so it's got that goin' for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.