Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be installing AJE racing's tubular K-member, A-arm, Coil over kit front suspension on our 1967 turbocharged mustang. We will be able to notch out the shock towers, add rack and pinion, upgrade to cobra disc brakes, have a bolt in K-Member like the new mustangs, adjustable coil over struts and much more room in the engine bay for the existing turbo kit. ;D



pic of the car


pic of the stock engine bay


what it will look like with the AJEracing front suspension:


link to the PHR shoot:

Richard Evans' '67 Ford Mustang - Popular Hot Rodding Magazine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
pulled off the upper and lower control arms, steering, shocks, struts, steering box... and all the other misc crap that isn't needed any longer






When I get up the nerve I cut the towers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Sweet car! Will be even better when your done. I am planning to move my battery to the trunk and while I was tearing down my front clip I thought "ya know...that battery tray would be a perfect spot for my ignition box!" Glad to see proof I wasn't thinking like a total goof!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one last look before I start cutting it up



I ended up using a sawz-all and plasma cutter to get most of it out, I still need to fine trim up everything use the spot weld remover and the air hammer.

went ahead and made a template out of cardboard and used a paint pen to mark the towers








 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hard at work...

the stock upper spring plate holder needs to be removed for the new caster camber plates to able to be installed



using 14 g. sheet of material, made a template and cut out part of the plate using a plasma torch to overlay the tower.



welded the plate from the inside the tower under the fender


picture of the plates welded on


here is what the finished product will look like and the tower smoothed! :eek:



next step is steering...

our 67 has a 1 piece steering shaft and box so we had to cut it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just want to be able to drive down the street with out bumpsteer!

weigh all the old parts last night and it came to 155lbs with all the suspension and everything else I cut off minus the brakes.:nice:

and the new K-member weighs a heafty 19lbs:D


progress pics......
Remove the stock crossmember and bolt up the k-member to the frame using the second hole in from the back to line up the k-member. we put in inserts into the frame so the frame doesn't bend when attaching the k-member in.

drill, insert, tack weld or weld.




assembly of the a arms, struts

tighten with a torque wrench to 65lbs and blue lock-tite

the strut retainer rounded off -- just for precautionary measures. In one install We have heard one hit the coil spring.



the aje kit laid out prior to install


k-member installed

bolted up to the inserts





more pics to come tonight!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
new caster plates installed


installing the strut and installing the screw in clamp and coil springs


installing the pinto rack along with the clamp for the rack from aje



Since I went with the SN95 spindle assembly I put on the hub from a set of Cobra calipers and slot/ drilled rotors



if you do the front you might as well do the back right!


column modified


installing the D-shaft


had to go from a front sump to a Rear sump pan. We had to get a certain pick up tube to clear the stud girdle and nock a little dent in part of the stock 90's pan for it to clear along with weld in a bung for the oil drain from the turbo.


engine reinstall


header install... look at all that room. I could of installed the headers on the block then installed it but we didn't want to chip any of the paint.


 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top