Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alarm?

I have recently bought a 97 GT and want to fit an alarm and remote starter. A number of questions:

1. Was this car originally fitted with an alarm. There is a 'theft' light on the instrument panel, but no reference to it in the manual. There is also a red LED under the sound system, an 'on/off' switch attached to the central bulkhead and a large unoccupied female plug under the dash. This all seems to point to an alarm being fitted but I just don't know. Is there any way of telling if there was / is an alarm fitted - shot of breaking into the car?

2. If there was an alarm fitted but removed, how can I tell if the wiring is still in place, and could I just plug in an aftermarket alarm module?

3. Did 97 mustangs come with remote opening of doors and trunk? - mine didn't.

4. Can anyone recommend a remote starter / alarm combo which would work with my manual transmission?

Many thanks in advance for any advice received.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Alarm?

Sorry man, but is illegal to equip a manual transmission with a remote starter. But if you are good, you can figure out how to bypass the clutch-in start.

Chris

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In response to your first quesiton that there isn't any refernce to the theft light in your manual I think you are mistanken. I have a 98 GT and the manual tells about the theft light and how to arm and disarm it. Your manual could be different of course.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could be wrong but I don't think your model year came with an alarm idiot light on the dash. I'm assuming if it still has one in there it was an aftermarket one like a viper, etc. If it was an aftermarket one and depending on how much time the installer took it could virtually be anywhere in the car. The most commong place for them to put it though is directly behind the drivers side dashboard near the steering colum. They probably tied the relay into the ignition wires on the colum (dumb idea but common). So look for any breaks or patch spots in the wiring on the colum mabye from that female connector you talked about.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Light

The theft light is hooked up to a computer that recives a signal from inside your key. If the wrong key is stuckified into the ignition, the car will not start even if the key turns. I know because i make key coppies at work and we run into this al the time!
also, remote start in a manual probably isn't the greatest idea in the world. you will more than likly leave it in gear at least once and then watch your car leap away into the car in front of it at the touch of a button

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not illegal here in NY to have a remote start on manuals...they cost like 50 bucks more then a auto remote start

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.