Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I picked up a '97 GT on Craigslist for a whopping $2800. It only has 58,000 miles, and is in decent shape except for the large amount of hail storm damage. I'm a body guy, so no problem there! Anyhow, it also has 18" rims and a set of nearly new Goodyear Eagle F1 tires. When I got it, the front end squeeked horribly. Turns out it was just the tie rod ends, so I had a local shop replace them and give her an alignment. Now the steering is tight and quiet! Here's the problem. My car follows ruts in the road like it has a mind of its own. One brand new pavement, it tracks straight. On any road that is even slightly worn, I have to keep a pretty tight grip on the wheel to keep her from jumping into another lane. I took the car back to the shop, and they put it back on the rack, and said that the alignment is perfect. Anyone have any ideas on this? It seems like the camber must be off somehow. Does andone know of a good shop to take it to somewhere around Seattle? Any input would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have my 2004 Gt, and I can tell you that depending on the road that the car will yank to the side also... Did the same thing and took it to get aligned, and it didn't need one. I have a good friend that had a 2001 V6, and he said his use to do the same thing... and congrats on the stang!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Its my first newer stang... I also have a '69 convertible that spends most of the year in the shop under a cover. :) I know that they do tend to pull a bit, but mine seems to be excessive. Wouldn't there be some camber adjustment that could be made to minimize the effects? All the other newer stangs I've driven haven't had nearly this much pull. But none the less... its nice to know others have had the same issues!

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Has the suspension been altered at all, like lowering springs. Go out and measure from the front fender lip to the ground on a level surface of course. It should be about 28.5 inches. If it is lower like 27 (mine) then you may be feeling bump steer. Mine still isn't perfect, I think it needs X1 ball joints, but the bump steer kit did help it alot.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Any car that has low profile tires like yours does will get fishy over uneven roads. Its the price you pay to improve your cars handling. Just keep both hands on the wheel and you'll be alright.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.