Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since having the new sneakers put on the steering has been off somewhat. The way it tracked it felt like the toe was off. I was wrong. It has 1* of neg camber and it did starting showing on the tire, 275/40/18, after only 1500 miles, -.8* wasn't nearly as bad. Based on this I will adjust my thinking from near 0* and go with something closer to -.5* and adjust tire wear from there.

But the problem appears to be the castor, it is about 1/2* less on the right side compared to the left. This could explain what I am feeling.

To my surprise, the castor is adjustable. That's right.... adjustable.
There is a etching in the rear outboard mounting hole that gets cut out, similar to the strut, and then you use a new bolt from Ford.

Part # 4-R33-2B236-BA Don't have a price yet.

Time for some suspension upgrades and alignment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,003 Posts
Cool!! I had been looking for that bolt! I'm .3* off on the left corner, no extra wear, yet...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
Nice! What did you guys hit :winks

Had mine up on the rack for a toe n go.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,003 Posts
Stoenr said:
Nice! What did you guys hit :winks
Hit some Eibach pieces, and some 19's with some 275 rubber... :winks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
LOL. :worship I hate when that happens
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kj_cinci said:
Cool!! I had been looking for that bolt! I'm .3* off on the left corner, no extra wear, yet...
Fortunately, castor isn't a wear spec like camber or toe. Typically you want about half a degree more on the right side to compensate for the crown of the road. I prefer near equal since castor effects the camber curve, steering feel and helps the steering wheel return to center after the turn etc.

Geuss I'll replace those hydra bushings as well.

Anybody replace the strut mounts with the Steeda pieces. Curious how much road noise they transmit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
redbullet said:
Fortunately, castor isn't a wear spec like camber or toe. Typically you want about half a degree more on the right side to compensate for the crown of the road. I prefer near equal since castor effects the camber curve, steering feel and helps the steering wheel return to center after the turn etc.

Geuss I'll replace those hydra bushings as well.

Anybody replace the strut mounts with the Steeda pieces. Curious how much road noise they transmit?
The Steeda Competition Upper Spring Seats are just that competition pieces.
When I was at the Steeda Stampede in October and I was told by Gus that they were working on a street version of the spring seats.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thump_rrr said:
When I was at the Steeda Stampede in October and I was told by Gus that they were working on a street version of the spring seats.
Really? I didn't see you there:laughlitt I was rather disappointed in the whole schmeal they had going on. Was told there was going to be tech shows and stuff and saw nothing of the kind. I don't believe they had it organized well at all.

Oh yea, thanks for the heads up on the plates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
redbullet said:
Really? I didn't see you there:laughlitt I was rather disappointed in the whole schmeal they had going on. Was told there was going to be tech shows and stuff and saw nothing of the kind. I don't believe they had it organized well at all.

Oh yea, thanks for the heads up on the plates.
I was there between 10:00 and 12:00, Just long enough to have a couple of hotdogs, talk to Gus and take a quick look around.
I didn't have my car there since I was in Florida on business. You're right to say they didn't have much going on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

It's called a CAM KIT for adjusting CASTOR pt # 4R3Z-3B236-AB

$80.31 wholesale and retails for $109.27 It has 4 bolts with eccentric cams and 8 nuts.

The pt # in first post apparently isn't available by itself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
thats the kit my ford tech used on mine as well seemed to work really well....no problems yet...car drives nice....:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
I just received the full FRPP kit and it came with two bolts that have an ecentric washer on them. I will try to take a pic tomorrow. Anyway, two bolts with nuts. On the bolt end there is an ecentric washer that is hard mounted to the bolt. Anyone have any idea what they are used for? I think it may be for changing camber in the front but not sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
he adjusted both and tow as well...he had to open up the strut a bit and then changed the bolts and degree washers to get it back were it needed to be...it was out pretty good he said not to bad but enough that it was really neccessary to do.......i was really serious about not wanting to kill the tires and i wanted it right......the car drives great now.....:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mustangaretuff said:
I just received the full FRPP kit and it came with two bolts that have an ecentric washer on them. I will try to take a pic tomorrow. Anyway, two bolts with nuts. On the bolt end there is an ecentric washer that is hard mounted to the bolt. Anyone have any idea what they are used for? I think it may be for changing camber in the front but not sure.
I'm thinking they are for camber adjustment but I don't have my struts to see if the fit. They look like two of the bolts in the "cam kit" I got for the castor adjustment. I will know more this weekend when I pull the castor bolts to verify
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
255 Posts
redbullet said:
Since having the new sneakers put on the steering has been off somewhat. The way it tracked it felt like the toe was off. I was wrong. It has 1* of neg camber and it did starting showing on the tire, 275/40/18, after only 1500 miles, -.8* wasn't nearly as bad. Based on this I will adjust my thinking from near 0* and go with something closer to -.5* and adjust tire wear from there.

But the problem appears to be the castor, it is about 1/2* less on the right side compared to the left. This could explain what I am feeling.

To my surprise, the castor is adjustable. That's right.... adjustable.
There is a etching in the rear outboard mounting hole that gets cut out, similar to the strut, and then you use a new bolt from Ford.

Part # 4-R33-2B236-BA Don't have a price yet.

Time for some suspension upgrades and alignment.
All of that is WAY over my head, but if I take this information to an alignment guy, do you think it wil fix mine? It's pulled to the left ever since I put on 255/45/18 BFG KDW's and no one can seem to figure out why it pulls. The tires have been rotated evry which way possible and the alignment checked twice. It still pulls and it's driving me crazy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
StangNut said:
All of that is WAY over my head, but if I take this information to an alignment guy, do you think it wil fix mine? It's pulled to the left ever since I put on 255/45/18 BFG KDW's and no one can seem to figure out why it pulls. The tires have been rotated evry which way possible and the alignment checked twice. It still pulls and it's driving me crazy.
Get your alignment specs and lets see what you have
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok pt # 4R3Z-3B236-AB is the right kit. The kit contains the bolts to adjust Camber and the bolt to adjust Castor and new nuts.

The slot for the castor was already there contrary to what the alignment machine said, big relief. My car is a late 05, it didn't even have the HC trap in the air inlet tube so I won't say what an early 05 might have.

The FRPP struts include the Camber bolts only and new nuts for the sway bar end link.



 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top