Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing my front struts and springs, and rear shocks and springs. My quote from the Ford dealer was $650 for everything. Then I called AutoZone and their quote was $460 for Gabriel struts and shocks, and Duralast springs.

Any experience with the Gabriels or Duralast?

·
Registered
547 Posts
why are you replacing to stock? if you dont want to do too heavy of an upgrade just get an eibach progressive rate spring set and a set of monroe sensatrac struts and shocks

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well for that kinda money you can buy KYB blues or equivalent with better quality springs or even some lowering springs that are not too aggressive at all or not that low of a drop like steeda sports or frpp c.

·
Registered
607 Posts
look up www.50resto.com, I picked up some kyb? shocks/struts and steeda springs I believe for like $300 in a kit Then it was another $250 to install but it lowered the car and made it handle like a totally different car!

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Gabriels are good shocks and struts, but I'd go with something better than the Auto Zone springs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why are you replacing to stock? if you dont want to do too heavy of an upgrade just get an eibach progressive rate spring set and a set of monroe sensatrac struts and shocks
I was wanting to get something economical. How much do those other ones go for? Any experience with them?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well for that kinda money you can buy KYB blues or equivalent with better quality springs or even some lowering springs that are not too aggressive at all or not that low of a drop like steeda sports or frpp c.
How much for the KYB's and Steeda or Ford Racing springs? Have you ever used them?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gabriels are good shocks and struts, but I'd go with something better than the Auto Zone springs.
So, have you used Gabriels? AutoZone is asking about $70 per spring. You say to get something better, but I wanted to know if anybody has ever tried them before. What springs would you recommend for about that price that you have used?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a follow-up question. AutoZone is asking me if the rear springs are variable rate or not. Do all GT's have variable rate springs in back? Are the front variable too? Is variable rate the same as progressive rate?

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well I got the kyb blues all around for like $270 and I also got the steeda sports for $200. It dropped the car about 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" and the ride got just a bit stiffer but not bad. I also changed the isolators all around since they were beyond worn and crumbling and that also helped a bunch. I think I paid like $40 something dollars for those. The difference is night and day especially if your suspension is tired and worn.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got the kyb blues all around for like $270 and I also got the steeda sports for $200. It dropped the car about 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" and the ride got just a bit stiffer but not bad. I also changed the isolators all around since they were beyond worn and crumbling and that also helped a bunch. I think I paid like $40 something dollars for those. The difference is night and day especially if your suspension is tired and worn.
Not bad! If I can find the same deal I'll go that route. Thanks.

·
Registered
606 Posts

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Look at replacing your lower control arms with some quality pieces instead of the quad shock in my opinion.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Look at replacing your lower control arms with some quality pieces instead of the quad shock in my opinion.
Your opinion is welcome. I hear a lot about the rear lower control arms. Are you using them, or know anybody that has? How does it change the ride? Can you recommend specific pieces? Thanks.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
Well any good quality tubular piece would be a great improvement. I got the Steeda upper and lower units at a great price that is why I went with them. It will also help with the wiggle of the rear end when braking, launching, turning and such.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.