Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we bought a new altenator at around Christmas and hooked it up and everything was working fine. Now all of a sudden when we turn on the car the altenator light comes on and it wont generate power and the car runs off the battery and dies. Ive changed the voltage regulator and it still isnt working. Does anyone have any idea on what the problem might be or should i just take it somewhere and have it looked at.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Take the altenator off the car and have it checked to make sure its doing what its suppose to do. If not get a new on, if it is start looking for something pulling power. Just a start.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have the altenator tested at your local parts store and check all your connections.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to Autozone and they tested the altenator and the new voltage regulator and both passed so its not either of those. Any other suggestions.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
the wiring on these cars is damned near 50 years.

I had my wiring go bad on me, and the same problem happened. You can get reproduction wiring harnesses.

however, I found the easier solution was to upgrade to a newer style 3g 130 amp alternator...it eliminates all the factory wiring, is a straight bolt on, and can be had on the cheap

·
Registered
457 Posts
the same thing happened to me, we ended up going through 4 alternators and 5 batteries. (all under warranty!) and what ended up being the problem was that we accidentally switched up two of the wires. afterward it was fine. it was very confusing, but try some wiring diagrams and make sure everything is hooked up correctly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts