Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys...I just finished my paxton s/c install and have got an alternator/check engine/detonation/pain in the ass issue I thought you guys could help me with...Here is my email to a buddy on here asking for his help that explains the problems...Please anyone that has any knowledge on any of this, please post and help me out...Thanks:

"Hey Man,
Frustrated doesn't do me justice today...I am sure hoping you can help me...Well I got done with everything today...Started it and it sounds awesome...no leaks so I thought I was good...Well it overheated bad in the garage....So I figured it had an air pocket and needed to be bled so I went to take the radiator cap off (not thinking at this point) and boom covered in a hot coolant bath...That was soooooooo much fun...About 2 hours later after having to clean EVERYTHING and there is still probably coolant everywhere...I start it back up and bleed the system the right way...Appears fine so far...But then my battery light came on and my volts where pegged off the chart charging my system...so I turned as much **** on as I could and that brought it down...but if something gets turned off or the engine revs then it shoots up and the light comes on...I checked with an external volt meter and got the same results...that was in neutral...In drive it doesn't take as much stuff on to keep it under control but then on the test drive boom it shot up and I had to turn the fan on high to get it to come down...I don't know if this is anything but my battery was dead when I tried to start it today too and I had to get another one...For the last week and a half it has sat in a warm garage with the negative cable off of it so I don't know if that is a big ass coincidence or not but to have a dead battery and a malfunctioning alternator suks especially since everything was fine a week and a half ago when I parked it...So I decide i'll goose it a little and around 3k rpms I here detonation bad so I let off and haven't goosed it since...Then twice when coasting down a hill the engine ran rough and the check engine light came on but would go out and then the car would be fine...Both times it was coasting down a big hill if that means anything to you....Oh and by the way I figured the detonation could be solved retarding the timing some, but I looked at the harmonic balancer and guess what I can't see it anymore!!!...How the hell do I set the timing now???...Questions:
1. Any ideas on my alternator issue...what to do how to test...And my God do I really have to take the whole F'in s/c out to change that thing?..I looked under it and I see a bolt that is blocked by the engine block...which means I either put the bolt in backwards (probably) or that is how it is?
2. How do I set the timing if I can't see the marks????? How do you do it...Any other Ideas on the reason for the detonation?
3. How do I check my computer for the check engine code it threw twice...It is stored right...is there a way to jump the connection to get it to flash the code for me?
Man i'm so frustrated again...Please give me some good news
Jason"

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
Double check your alternator wiring, sounds like a voltage regulator thing.
Check it real good for vacuum leaks too.
To scan for codes, goto your driver side strut tower, and find the diagnostic connectors. Take the large connector, and hold it with the terminals facing you - you want the flat side with the four terminals down, and the two terminals and pented side up. It should look like a little house. Take a jumper wire, and connect the top right (upstairs) terminal to the terminal on the connector from the single wire.
Now put the car in neutral, and turn the key to run, and the check engine light will flash out the 2 digit KOEO codes. It will repeat, flash once, and then throw the Continuous Memory codes and repeat them. When it's done with that, start the motor, and it will give you the KOER codes.
Then, report back to us. This might help. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/445.shtml
Disregard the test light and the meter if you have an '89 - '93.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean by disreguard the test light and the meter if I have a 89-93...I have a 90 5.0
Thanks and I will do that if I have time
Jason

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
cfiiman said:
What do you mean by disreguard the test light and the meter if I have a 89-93...I have a 90 5.0
Thanks and I will do that if I have time
Jason
There's an illustration in the link I pasted into my post, and it shows the jumper wire and a test light, and the jumper wire and a volt meter.
Your check engine light and the jumper wire are the only diagnostic tools you need.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey man I found the EEC test connector...But mine doesn't look exactly like the picture in the link...It has less slots so I am not sure what I've got so I didn't jump it...I heard someone talking about an upgrade that ford did...Maybe even a recall?...I don't know but maybe mine didn't get it done to it...I guess I should take a picture and post it so you can help me...It says "EEC Test" on the cover and one connector is a single wire and there is a house type thing but not like the picture...It isn't well defined holes like in the picture it is hard to explain...any thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.