Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started to get Cam Sensor codes about a month ago. I got tired of clearing the codes after about five or six times so I broke down and ripped my alternator out. If you are not aware...there is a SB about the alternator causing these codes, so that should be your first move to fix a Cam Sensor code.

I am lucky in that I have an automotive electric shop a few miles away. They rebuild everything for about half of what a replacement part would cost at an auto parts store. The price is dependant on parts needed of course, but usually it is very reasonable.

After teardown the tech brought the inner case over and showed me where the rectifier was no longer soldered to where it was supposed to be. He said that the output would be fine at 14volts but there would be no amps. I presume that in this case that was the cause of my errent codes. You can tell I know alot about this stuff. not :grinroll:

He also showed me the replacement part which has a pressed connection at the rectifier instead of a solder joint. That way there is no way for a bad or weak solder joint that could possibly go bad again. He said he has tried resoldering that joint in the past but it did not work out.

I thought that this info is interesting because alot of folks have had this problem and would like to know what actually causes it. I would also recommend that you try to find an automotive electrical shop somewhere in your area if you do have a problem. They will save you some $... GA

·
Registered
7 Posts
Garyalpusa, I had the same code come up after a check engine light was on. The original alternator was still working, but an internal diode was causing the errant code. You are right, Cam Positioning Sensors had nothing to do with the problem. I replaced the alternator and never had the code come up again.

05 GT. Blk, 19'' AZA wheels, Centerforce clutch, cold air intake. My get to work and back car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts