Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The alternator on my 66 Mustang is not working. I just got done taking it out and i noticed that there were no wires coming off the stator connector. Is that a problem? I am rather new to fixing stuff myself. Also i am trying to figure out how many Amps it is. I have looked it over and i do not see any indicators. It is a Motorcraft and it says 13 on it. Thats it. Any help is appreciated, thanks. Incase you need to know, my engine is the 200 CID.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There should be wires coming from the starter soleniod, regulator, and a ground wire that connect to the alternator.

Are there any wires at all? Does the car start when you give it a jump, but when you shut the car off it won't start again?

Some tests you could do to see if its a bad alternator is when the cars running hook a voltage meter to the battery. If it reads less then 14 its a bad alternetor. If you dont have a tester when the car is running take the positive wire off the battery if it dies the alternator is bad.

When messing with electrical it could turn into a nightmare. Alternator is bad, and when you try to start it the battry keeps draining.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also amp wise you might have a 40 amp alternator. Thats what my 68 had, and as far as i knew it was stock. If yours is bad i would take it to a shop, and have them put better diods in it to beef up the Amps.

I had mine beefed up to a 90 amp, and when i hooked up my MSD box. As soon as i started i blew the alternator again, andthe regulator. Now its a 120 amp, and i have the regulator right on the back of the alternator. Its not original, but i got tired of blowing the alternators all the time.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the alternator to a local shop to get it tested. They said it was good. I told them that it there wasnt a wire coming from the STA knob. The guy said that would cause my battery not to charge, which is what is wrong.

All the wires were attached except the STA. The car starts when i jump it but it needs a jump every time, it doesnt hold the charge, even with a brand new battery.

Ill do some research using that website, thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
hey i am having the same problems with my alternator. i just went to advance and picked up an alternator and the car is a lot better off it will hold a charge but the battery is dead by every 8th start almost like the alt isnt charging the battery back up. replace your solenoid and regulator and see what happens. ha you never know but taking out those original parts and replacing them with knew oem parts helped me a ton. good luck

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
converting to a taurus or mustang 3g alternator is a hell of a lot easier and cheaper way of troubleshooting this problem. You bypass all the factory wiring and hook up wiring directly yourself...and eliminate the factory harness. + you get 130 amps.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
the starter solonoide is on top of the starter..the relay is the object to the left of it.
the relay gets all the connections, and is the one of the pass side firewall. The starter only gets a single wire coming from the relay to the starter

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One more question....

Would the plug that goes into the regulator cause the battery not to charge? I traced the wires back and found that the plug wasnt even plugged in...awesome.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
yes, the voltage regulator is an essential part of the circuit. It, and the wiring must be good if you want that alt to charge

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright...problem solved...thanks for all the help. At least i know a little more about my car now. now for the carburetor...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts