Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey There. I'm A New Member To The Site But I've Been Looking At The Site For Years. I've Got A 1990 Mustang Gt And Was Wondering What "amp" Alternator Comes Stock On Cars Like Mine ?? The Reason I'm Asking, I Was Driving Home From Work Yesterday And Smelled Something Burning And Then Seen Smoke Coming From Under The Hood When I Stopped At A Redlight. I Pulled Over, Popped The Hood And The Alternator Was On Fire In The Area Where The Rectifier Plug Is. Luckily, I Was Able To Get The Fire Out Without Any Damage To The Car. Since I've Got To Fix The Car Anyway Now After The Fire, I'm Thinking About Going With A 130 Amp Alternator, So What All Is Involved In Completed This Swap ?? Thanks, Shane Thang.

1990 Mustang Gt, 25th Anniversary Edition, 5 Sp
Cobra Upper & Lower Intake, Bbk Underdrive Pullies, Bbk Cold Air Intake, Flex-a-lite Flex Fan, 9mm Ford Motorsport Wires, Crane Fireball Coil, Adjusted Timing, Etc.....

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
Most aftermarket alternators are a straight bolt on, I recommend PA Performance, Powermaster makes junk. But the reason it caught fire is because the connector melted, and it caught fire, it's very common. With the new alternator, those accident prone connectors are eliminated and replaced with quality connectors and cables. A 130 would be fine on yours.

PA Performance - You Only Buy Quality Once ! 1.877.471.8010

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You !!!!

Actually, Pa Performance Is The Brand I Had Been Looking At With The Premium Wire Upgrade. I Really Appreciate The Tips And Advice. Thanks, Shane.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The current 5.0 Mustang and Super Fords mag has a nice write-up on a PA performance alternator install.

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
You'll be happy with the PA. I've had both the Powermaster 140 alternator and starter, both just outright broke. Not failed, but broke. The casing seemed to just split on both of them and since I got both from PA, no trouble at all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.