Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i want to add a decent sounding system to my car, and brighter headlights as well, but i dont think the alternator will take the extra load. i mean when i turn on the headlights at idle then turn on the high beams, it seems like the alternator is goin to be overloaded. we have all seen the advertisements in 5.0 magazine for the p&a alternators, and i got to thinking, the highway patrol used to have mustangs, and i found out that they have 130 amp alternators. is there any reason i wouldnt be able to just bolt one on and go without any modification? maybe the only mod being a thicker gauge wire goin from the alt to the battery. the ford alternators are only like 120 too so that would be cool if it would work

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you can get them from ford. i checked the price the other day

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Just grind your current bracket, add a fuse line, install 0-2 gauge wire to the starter solenoid, get the 3g conversion kit from www.50resto.com and you are done.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Although it won't hurt anything, 0-2AWG is overkill. It'll be difficult to fit an eyelet of that size to the 3G alternator's lug.

130A = 4AWG

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
Im using arc welding cable , that wire is thick as hell. Works great though.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the highway patrol alternator for fox mustangs is not a 3G alternator is it? i thought it was a 2G

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
3g on stangs didnt start until '94.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
lxarlo said:
the highway patrol alternator for fox mustangs is not a 3G alternator is it? i thought it was a 2G
GhostDog 5.0 said:
3g on stangs didnt start until '94.
'89-'92 Special Service Mustangs had a 135A Lestek alternator.
'93 Special Service Mustangs had a 130A Motorcraft alternator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.