Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
no, the alternator in 4.6's are different than 5.0's. but you can get a 94-95 alternator (which is 130 amp) and put it in with a little grinding off of the bracket so that it will fit. real easy.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
i am goin to upgrade my alternator also. i guess the 94-95 alternator is an easy swap and im pretty sure pa performance has all the connectors and wires you need. i believe they are 95 amp though not 130. i am thinking of putting the 130 amp motorcraft alternator from the special service mustangs into my 93. when i eventually get it done i will post results.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
3G Upgrade How To

I just won a new 170amp unit painted blue and with all the wiring upgrades on Ebay for $195 plus shipping. Worthwhile upgrade to be sure!
:smoke:

The above link as the alternator wand wire upgrades for sale.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
LqDFx said:
Can I put a 130amp out of the 96 into my 90 5.0?
If it's from a 3.8L V6 application, yes. If it's from a 4.6L V8 application, no.

·
Registered
223 Posts
One from a Taurus 3.0 has the 130 amp alternator.I just put one on my '88 5.0.EASY install.I also grabbed the alternator wire from the factory harness to use with it (the heavier wire from the alternator to the starter sylenoid).I believe my total investment was under $30.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally did the 3G swap. What difference!!! I finally decided to go with the bigger alt when the first cold frost riden night came. I started the car and went inside. When I came out I noticed that with the radio off and the fan running full bore, the volt gauge was showing that I was at about 10 volts. Now with the new alt, I show no movement at all with radio, fan, and lights going. I also do not get the dimming lights when the bass hits on my stereo and the car is peppier!

Thank you for the great tech article on this site for helping me through the install. I had the wireless laptop sitting by my side guiding me throuh everything!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
do yourself a favor and check ebay! i got my 130 amp for 99 bucks with stator plug and wire connectors. and it has a one year warranty.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Do your 5.0 a favor and upgrade to a 130 amp alternator. I got rid of the stock 75 amp one and adapted a 1994 mustang 5.0 alternator 130amp to my 1992 5.0 LX. Very nice when you have a stereo, and will help against discharging at idle when you have underdrive pullies. I dont have underdrive pullies as of yet, but i hope to get them. The 130 amp looks nicer as well:eyepoppin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.