3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could only afford one which would you choose
alum heads or stroker kit and why ?
Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, seeing how I was on a budget and all, I went with the 347 stroker kit and 351W heads, with a porting job done by a "friend" who lives and breaths Ford iron and didn't charge me an arm and a leg. Without doing the porting, very few iron ford heads, (except the rare c6FE heads) can flow enuff air to function that well in performance applications. This coulda costed mega bucks elsewhere. There are some cons to this however considering the possibility of warpage and flex due to the fact only four bolts surround each cylinder and the headgasket may fail. Edelbrock has addressed this by offering a nice set of 351W performer heads (PN 6025) bout $1500 w/tax . My package ran $3000 and included port/polish, forged pistons, FRRP roller rockers, Edelbrock RPM cam kit. I'd say save some cash playa, get the outta the box aluminum heads and do a stroker kit all at once. BTW, what are you plannin on running, 302, 351, big block?

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I shoud have said I was Building a 302 that I want to be Streetable

But still smolder tires when the need comes along
300-350 hp
going in 67 cougar

G

·
I'd go with a nice set of aluminum heads. Ford small blocks(at least the 289/302's) are notorious for having too small of exhaust ports. You can always buy the stroker kit down the road. But if you go with the stroker kit now, you won't get to use it's full potential because the heads will be choking that motor. It's not to say that the problem in the cast iron heads can't be fixed with some porting, but they still won't be as good as the aluminum simply because the properties of the metal. Aluminum is MUCH lighter in weight and dissipates(gets rid of) heat much better than cast iron.

·
Registered
18 Posts
i put a pair of Air Flow Research 185cc heads on my 351W and really felt the difference. they are awsome heads. i would like to stroke the engine to 408 when i rebuild it. the heads are probably less expensive than the stroker kit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.