Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about aluminum drive shafts? I need to replace mine and i was looking at some aluminum ones and seen that they werent all that expensive but i didnt know if they were worth it or if they were any good?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
What do you guys think about aluminum drive shafts? I need to replace mine and i was looking at some aluminum ones and seen that they werent all that expensive but i didnt know if they were worth it or if they were any good?
Do you have a manual or automatic?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
i have a 98 manual...sorry, i forgot to include that
Ok, since the rotational mass is low, the main benefit is a reduction in weight, It will make the transmission of power slightly more efficient, but what makes a BIG difference is installing an Aluminum Flywheel, because the rotational mass is so much greater.

:yup:

If you had an automatic, it would be more cost effective to go straight to a carbon fiber DS, than to modify an aluminum to work . ..

·
Registered
11,432 Posts

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
greenfieldracin said:
are the aluminum drive shafts strong enough?
oh, yeah!

The only issue may be clearance, if you have custom pipes.

Aluminum, by definition has to be a bit wider to have the same strength as iron or steel . ..

·
Registered
692 Posts
i have both aluminum driveshaft and flywheel they both do wonders i saw the most signifacant change w/ the flywheel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.