Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am about ready to buy a new heater core and go through that whole adventure. I know both copper and aluminum heater cores are available. I am wondering if anyone has any solid experience with which material would be more durable and worth it. I have my eye on an aluminum core from LRS, but if the price is similar for copper Id like to get the most durable of the two. Thanks anyone who can lend their experience. PS- Its been a while but I seem to think theres a sort of coolant softener to slow the electrolite corrosion or whatever causes antifreeze to eat aluminum and metals. Thanks again fellow Mustang people:yelpleased:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I'd go with the copper one myself, as a mechanic I see lots of junk aluminum cooling system parts, but the copper ones seem to be a lot more durable.

Do you have Air Conditioning or not? If not, then changing the heater core only takes about half an hour, I did mine on my lunch break at work. If you do have A/C, then you're looking at a seriously big job.

I've never heard of anything like a cooling system additive you described, other than maybe just good ol' water wetter additive that Redline or Royal Purple make. I wouldn't bother with that though, just use a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze and change it every other year.

The trick is to use pure distilled water that you buy at the store, not tap water that contains chlorine and minerals that cause deposits.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Copper is heavier, more durable, and transfers heat better. It's usually a little cheaper, too.

I have heard of the water treatment, but it's nothing special. Last one I saw was from Prestone. You'll find it on the shelf in Pep Boys or wherever.

I also like to use a surfactant in the coolant; like Redline Water Wetter or Royal Purple Purple Ice. It's cheap, and makes the system just a little bit more efficient.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both, that is very good information. I planned on flushing the system several times to remove electrolysis and deposits. Ill go back with distilled water 50/50 and some water wetter or what have you. I havent found many brass/copper cores, mostly cheaper aluminum. I know the superiorities of brass/copper, just thought id get some info from the guys. Thanks again and ill take any info so keep it comin:yelpleased:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I got a brass/copper heater core from Schucks/O'Reilly whatever they are for like $25 a few months ago.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow I definitely need to call around when I get ready to do the deed. Thats cheap aluminum pricing for a better core.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everyone, update: did the heater core fix a couple of weeks ago, went alright except a couple of snags. Got a $20 brass core from Pep Boys with lifetime warranty. When its cold Ive been using the heater, heats up quicker than I thought it would, and gets hot! Thanks all for the help, I may throw some pics up when I figure out how

·
Registered
941 Posts
sweet. My car had ac.. the guy i got it from took it out and god knows what he did my heater box is cracked so i dont get heat out of my vents and the air that does come out dont get hot lol been like that 3 years one day i will have to get a new box and put a new core in.

My question its the core the same for both cars that have ac and ones that dont? and if they are diff should i change to the one thes for non ac since mine is gone.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
Make sure you replace the restrictor to help from blowing the new one out.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
I'd go with the copper one myself, as a mechanic I see lots of junk aluminum cooling system parts, but the copper ones seem to be a lot more durable.

Do you have Air Conditioning or not? If not, then changing the heater core only takes about half an hour, I did mine on my lunch break at work. If you do have A/C, then you're looking at a seriously big job.

I've never heard of anything like a cooling system additive you described, other than maybe just good ol' water wetter additive that Redline or Royal Purple make. I wouldn't bother with that though, just use a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze and change it every other year.

The trick is to use pure distilled water that you buy at the store, not tap water that contains chlorine and minerals that cause deposits.

The one in mine takes a whole day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts