Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i brought my car to the shop because i gave in on trying to find out what was wrong.

here is the link of the issue:
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/297484-2002-gt-sputtering-help.html

they say that they cannot find out "exactly" what is causing the problem, but they said it "might" be a worn valve spring. Could this cause the Sputtering issue? Am i getting raped or is this proper troubleshooting?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I read your posts and the last one said that disconnecting the EGR made an improvement, so why not replace that yourself? What made you decide to take it to a shop after all that?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Ok do you notice any loss of power on acceleration? As in a feeling like the engines not getting fed? Have you checked any of the fuel areas? The pressure right up to the rails? The injectors not hanging open or closed? Chevy is well known for the mystery miss that shows up intermittently, Its the injectors at a low rpm range 1k-1500 rpm they tend to hang open for a cycle or 2 causing a nasty sputter, but do start working right until the engines not demanding enough fuel. Also you say when you get on it it will start to sputter, sputtering engines in my experience are usually under fed. The OEM fuel pumps are good to a point even for a stock engine, once they hit the peak, i think roughly about the 4-5k range they cant really give the engine what it needs. Thats why most people step it up to a higher poundage FP. Toss a can of sea foam in the tank, run reg 87 octane, give it about 100 miles without beating on it see if it helps, if not check your fuel system.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I read your posts and the last one said that disconnecting the EGR made an improvement, so why not replace that yourself? What made you decide to take it to a shop after all that?
Good point, EGR valve can cause major issues, theres a youtube video on how to clean it out, personally id buy a new one. I want to say theres 3 parts to the EGR system? The valve, the valve control, and 1 other part. Ask the Auto store.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good point, EGR valve can cause major issues, theres a youtube video on how to clean it out, personally id buy a new one. I want to say theres 3 parts to the EGR system? The valve, the valve control, and 1 other part. Ask the Auto store.

LATE UPDATE SORRY!: I did change it out myself, and still no fix, just felt like a smoother sputter.. lol. Well, after receiving it back from the shop, they say that it was the tune that was installed with the Predator Diablo sport that was effecting it. after installing the factory to troubleshoot (basically deleting the diablo tune) the car ran better, ended up spending 200. not bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts