Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay dropped my 07 mustang off at dealership(yesterday) for possible cam phaser replacement and timing chain tensioner replacement due to some slight knock (hardly can hear it) and some swishing noises at idle. i called the dealership today and they told me that nothing appears to be wrong and everything checks out normal, timing is correct, cam phasers or okay, etc. ford tsb i guess told them that i shouldnt be running a fram oil filter due to it not being the right one to use cause ford uses a specialy vented oil filter. does this sound right to you guys. they said it was something new..they also said to drive if for a month and if the sound reoccurs then to bring it back in and theyll do a major teardown. i talked to the guy who writes down the info when you first drive up to the service dept. and he was relaying info that the mechanic was telling him.

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
If Ford doesn't want anyone to use the Fram filters they need to send out a message to us. You can always ask to speek to the mechanic your self. These cars make all kinds of noises. Trust no dealer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when i go to pick the car up im gonna speak to the mechanic, but can an oil filter cause engine noises?????????

·
Registered
20 Posts

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
When my engine went south last year, the first thing they suspected was the Fram filter. There have been issues where the filter came apart and the little pieces were being sucked around the engine, clogging things up.
That wasn't the issue, in my case, thankfully. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten a new engine. The Motorcraft filters are a little different, something about the way they flow, so now I use Motorcraft exclusively. That's not to say are aren't good filters out there.
While, I never found out the reason why my cylinder heads weren't getting oil, the technician Ford sent out from Detroit seemed to suspect the block casting failed internally, by-passing the usual oil delivery routes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i got back from the dealer and they changed the oil and stated the fram oil filter doesnt have a vent that allows for the oil to reach the top of the valve train due to lack of pressure build up, which could equal noise and knocks from decrease oil saturation. the mechanic was pretty persistant about needing to use the motorcraft oil filters. they told me if i have anymore problems with noise to bring it back in a month and theyll do a complete tear down. i played stupid and asked can i buy the oil filters here just to see if he was just trying to get me to come to them and buy em and have my oil changed and he said you can get at walmart to save some money. anyways the slight knock is gone at idle but i do still hear a rhythmic swishing noise at idle when standing and having my head next to the grill on the car. do any of you have the same sound. little noises like these drive me crazy can ANY of you guys tell me that this swishing noise is normal. can you check on your cars. ive only listened to it after my car was @ operating temp.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i think ive had this noise since i bought the car. i think im just gonna chalk it up as being a normal sound. but does anyone have a rythmic swishing noise at idle. i can hear mine with the hood closed and my head next to the grill.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
well i think ive had this noise since i bought the car. i think im just gonna chalk it up as being a normal sound. but does anyone have a rythmic swishing noise at idle. i can hear mine with the hood closed and my head next to the grill.
Between injector ticking and normal noises from the overhead cam these engines certainly aren't silent. If you don't have a knocking or very loud ticking problem, I'd say you're ok.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
if this is the only time you hear the "swishing" noise is when you are knelt down with your head next to your grill, then you are hearing the coolant running through the veins in your radiator. lots of pressure in the cooling system. these sounds are probably normal. now, if you could hear it from the drivers seat, then I would be worried.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I've heard what Brent05redfire has when I turn on the key and my Meziere fires up so it could be the coolant system operating, but I agree w/ stlwagon: jut keep an "ear" on it and see how it goes. :rockon:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks guys for the input. the only ticking i have is what i hear when i drive through a parking lot and i hear the ticking reverb off the other cars and it sounds like and exhaust leak but i havent done any exhaust work, the ticking increases with rpm is this a normal sound.............also i hear slight clutch chatter with the trans in neutral and i rev to 1500 rpm, but i dont hear the rattle when i have the trans in first with the clutch pressed down, is this also a normal sound. car has a 5 speed manual......thanks so much for the response

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,878 Posts
A fuel injector tick should remain constant. You could have a bad manifold gasket and a slight exhaust leak.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.