Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Alberta, Canada.

I really want to get a mustang but it will have to be my only car.

How horrible are these in the winter. It can snow alot and for a long time. I'll put some good skinny snow tires on and add some weight over the rear. I've been driving a rwd s10 and survived.

It'll be a 5.0 and 5 speed for sure. Ideally the coupe or lx hatch.

Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
I think as long as you take care of the car, there should be no problem. It may get a lil wear an tear due to the weather, but like i said if you take car of the 5.0 i dont see why you shouldnt get one. Hopefully you have a garage and a car cover.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Well this is my experience, my 90 Mustang is the worst car in snow that I ever owned. Not only is it RWD, but it's also such a short wheelbase that the rear end hs a tendency to want to come around on you in snow or ice. My knuckles were white after driving this car at 30 mph with light snow, the same snow my Windstar or my Escape could cruise through at 55 and feel 100% surefooted.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It's no problem. Just get some winter tires and wheels and a sand bag or two over the axle and you're good to go. It's all in the tires. It's actually a lot of fun, you can practice drifting in a parking lot without wearing out your tires. Most of don't winter drive our stangs just to prevent the wear & tear our winters do to a vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ehh..i dunno, it can sorta be a problem...i agree it's fun to drive in snow,:kooky: but if you really want to get somewhere without being scared to ..well....

but if you get the good snow tires it shouldn't be nearly as much of a problem..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just dread the idea of buying a fwd pos like a cavalier.

Would a mustang with good winter tires get stuck all the time? How hard is it to drive in a respectable manner on a busy road?

I guess I could get a big 4x4 and screw the mustang idea? Maybe a crown vic?

What kind of beaters do you guys drive?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lmao

hehe, my beater is a 94 cavalier FWD station wagon...lol, but it's a beast i guess 3.1 multiport, and a pretty loud exhaust, not to mention air shocks, if i want i could air them up just for the down force!!!!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yo lead09, I've lived in the snow and there's nothing like a rock solid good gripping 4WD when you want to get home and the weather's scary. I think everyone should own a Mustang, but for you I'd have to say, not yet. Do you want to put chains on the Stang? Can't, if you fix the suspension the way you should. Best of luck, "think safe".

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damm your breaking my heart. I'm not sure I can afford 4wd so the only other oprion is a rwd truck (can't be much better than a mustang) or a fwd car.

I just hate thinking that I'm gonna give in a buy some **** I don't like.

Has anyone driven their mustang in winter with a good set of winter tires?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The guy I bought my car from drove his car since 1996 all year round with winter tires and said he never had a problem. 1993 5.0LX

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Do what you want. When you spin on some ice that every Honda Accord and every Ford Taurus is crusing through with no problem, and bang up your nice little Fox 5.0, you'll wish you had bought yourself a little FWD beater for bad weather! A Mustang is not a good snow car.

·
Registered
276 Posts
'fraid I have to agree w/cracker, though I would have been a little gentler. Front wheel drive is definatley the next option to 4wd. Any rear wheel drive is just crappy in the snow and for heaven's sake don't get a RWD P.U. They have no weight over the drive wheels. Yea, you can load it up w/sand bags or wood or whatever, I've done it. It's messy, time consuming and unnecessary if you buy smart. Dude, car crashes are no fun. Best of luck.........

·
Registered
136 Posts
My only drove my 5.0 in the snow once and the roads were dry. I was taking it to get the gears done I was in the shop parking lot and they wanted me to park uphill by the road. Needless to say uphill, sheet of ice, directional tires, v8 fox bodies don't mix. I even had a lil running start(as much as i could with no traction) and it took me several tries to clear the hill (like 40ft of driveway). White knuckles and good times.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Dude don't sweat driving it in winter.Just get some good "winter" tires not allseasons.I have Michelin X-Ice tires(4) mounted on steel rims all ready to go on the GT for this winter.Don't forget to throw in a couple of sand bags in the back(put them in garbage bags so you don't get sand leaking from the woven bags they come in.)Just remember that modern winter tires need to be installed as a set of 4.It's also important to protect you finish with a good clean and polish prior to winter.:thumbsupA good bud of mine drove his 90 5.0 though 3 winters a few years ago with good winter tires and sand bags with no problems.Oh and don't forget to go easy on the throttle and slow it down and leave more space between yourself and other vehicles.Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.