Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another oil thread.

Curious if I'd notice any real difference with the three Amsoil grades, OE, XL, or AL. All vs Motorcraft blend or full. All 5W-20 for my '13.

This is a daily driver, no racing or anything, want longest OCI for the value.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
motorcraft all the way, its what ford wanted for it to be ran with.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
motorcraft all the way, its what ford wanted for it to be ran with.
Anywhere to buy it reliably on-line? Can't seem to find 5W-20. I won't buy from my local dealer. Long story involving multiple law suites....

If I can't get it online, which Amsoil would be best for my scenario?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I usually use Amsoil XL synthetic oil in my Silverado and Mustang. It's intended for up to 10,000 mile oil change intervals. Online I believe it's about $7.50/qt. But if you use enough oil you can take advantage of the "preferred customer" discount that's $20/yr. That takes roughly 25% off their list prices. However, when it really comes down do it any good oil will be just fine in your car whether it's Motorcraft, Amsoil, Mobil 1, Redline, Royal Purple, Castrol, etc... The only reason I use Amsoil is because I buy large amounts at a time. Otherwise I would use a brand available in stores, which in my case used to be Mobil 1.

If you really want to know how far you can go between oil changes you need to have the oil periodically tested. That way you aren't relying on anecdotal evidence from others that still stick to 3,000 mile changes or change it at 5,000, 8,000, 10,000 miles. That's the ONLY way to know for sure where your change intervals should be.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Almost like arguing religion or politics! Anyway, I am a certified lube technician, and can assure you that the requirements now for standard motor oil are so stringent that essentially all major brand oils are synthetic blends. You can't go wrong with any of them. I personall think full synthetic is overkill.....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Almost like arguing religion or politics! Anyway, I am a certified lube technician, and can assure you that the requirements now for standard motor oil are so stringent that essentially all major brand oils are synthetic blends. You can't go wrong with any of them. I personall think full synthetic is overkill.....
You guys have confirmed a lot of what I thought. I bought Royal Purple for my BRZ recently and got crucified over that!

I'll see if I can find Motorcraft at my local Walmart, if not I'll grab the Amsoil XL.

Thanks again gents!

Reactions: FIFTiAna

·
Registered
153 Posts
You should have no problem getting the motorcraft 5w-20 at walmart. It's about $4.XX per quart. Plus last time I was there I saw they also sold it in big 5qt jugs for like $18 each which is a good deal.

·
Administrator
13,275 Posts
I also use Motorcraft & have been for years. Good stuff:yup:

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
There are lots of miracle oils out there but I figure its in Ford's best interest to recommend what is going to make my car perform best and last longest. And I'm doing all my oil changes with the dealer because everything is documented, it doesn't cost anymore, and even if it did the bargains at the chain stores sometimes aren't really bargains at all. I've had too many mishaps with my cars in the past to risk taking a car I really care about (and cost this much) to one of those ever again.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I use the motorcraft 5/20 because I change my oil every 5k miles regardless if the oil can go 10,000 miles. I have used AMSOIL 5/20 XL through 2 oil changes and it's good stuff, but so is motorcraft. Just convenient to run the motorcraft for me. Also use the FL500 filter from motorcraft

·
Registered
78 Posts
The oil life sensors are very good at monitoring oil life based on additive degradation. I was one of the last to give up on the 3k oil changes, moving to 5k. Now I trust the monitor and let it go until the car says it's ready...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Curious how the oil monitor works, any details to that?

I can get the filter for 7.61 on Amazon. That pretty good?

·
Administrator
13,275 Posts
There are lots of miracle oils out there but I figure its in Ford's best interest to recommend what is going to make my car perform best and last longest. And I'm doing all my oil changes with the dealer because everything is documented, it doesn't cost anymore, and even if it did the bargains at the chain stores sometimes aren't really bargains at all. I've had too many mishaps with my cars in the past to risk taking a car I really care about (and cost this much) to one of those ever again.
I could not agree more:yup: I once took one of my cars to a place which I will not name(but their name rhymes with jiffy & lube:gringreen) for an oil change. It was winter & I had gone past what I considered the max time for an oil change. I payed my money & waited in their "lounge" which was a small room next to the bath room, so it smelled badly of funk, & read some outdated magazine. Time came to go, I started the car & started to leave. The engine started to rattle like the hammers of hell. I quick shut it down & checked the oil- EMPTY _ the "technicians" were goofing around with each other & forgot to put oil back in the car. I guess I`m lucky I had Mobil 1 in it. You should have seen the finger pointing when I went storming back into the office. They offered to give me my money back & give me some free oil changes. I took the refund & told them to keep the oil changes. Even for free it was not worth it:nono:

·
Banned
902 Posts
I've read a lot of oil threads and the Motorcraft synthetic we get in our Mustangs is supposedly just 'ok' but that testing has shows it shears down a 40 grade viscosity after 2k miles. Also the Motorcraft filter design is decent, but by comparison, Amsoil filter does appear to be better.

If you goal is to have maximum protection and get up to 10,000 miles per change, then by all means go for the Amsoil.

Here's a few hundred posts to read about oil;

The Greasy Spoon - SVTPerformance

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
yep i took my old 98 jeep to one of those jiffy lubes for the last time, they came and told me i was very low on transmission fluid, and they didn't even know how i drove it still, so i gave them permission to fill it up for free, i had gotten seals replaced in it before so i figured they had went bad again... got home left it parked overnight and found what looked like about 5 quarts of red fluid on the ground under it... so we went to o'riley's and got a 5 quart jug, and some stop leak.... checked the fluid level, and it showed overfull still... those jiffy lube idiots confused full with hardly non in it, and over filled it by like 6 quarts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yet another oil thread.

Curious if I'd notice any real difference with the three Amsoil grades, OE, XL, or AL. All vs Motorcraft blend or full. All 5W-20 for my '13.

This is a daily driver, no racing or anything, want longest OCI for the value.

Thanks guys!

If your engine and its warranty are important to you, use an SAE 5w 20 oil that meets or exceeds Ford’s specification WSS-M2C945-A.

Max OCI is: 10,000 miles, 1 year or when the “Oil Life Moniter” indicates ENGINE OIL CHANGE DUE or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED. Whichever occurs first.

The price you pay for oil, the brand you use, or advertising hype is not important. Using an oil that meets or exceeds Ford’s specification is.

As for Amsoil, do a little research. I believe that you will find they do not meet, let alone exceed Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A. Just because they recommend their oil, does not mean they have conducted the required tests to meet Ford’s specification.

Motorcraft blend or full meets Ford’s spec.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Amsoil is fine. It has the magical ability to lighten your wallet as it delivers the same protection as the Motorcraft product. Or something like that.

·
Banned
902 Posts
Here we go again...

Haha, I love oil treads. The passion, the angst, the self-righteous rants, the authoritative voices of reason, the warranty zealots, the 'you will burn in hell if you don't use OEM oil', yadda yadda yadda. Sprinkled in you get the 'I use x in my car and have been using it for y years without a single problem, and it has over z thousand miles' posts. See the same pattern over and over again in threads over numerous forums.

I don't care if you pour Wesson Vegetable oil in your car, use what you want and be happy.

You want to believe Motorcraft is 'better' than Amsoil, great. It's like the Matrix blue pill/red pill. Like Morpheus said, "Remember, I'm only offering the truth..., nothing more." Just about every lab test I've ever seen shows Motocraft to grade out lower on the scale after X miles versus other quality oils, not just Amsoil. Some google searching on the subject will show the same thing.

The OP wanted opinions on Amsoil vs Motorcraft, and I offered mine. So take the blue pill, and go to bed thinking that Motorcraft is 'better' because Amsoil doesn't meet the published spec. A little digging onto why Amsoil, Royal Purple, and other top quality oils don't meet this spec makes for good reading. The oil guru in the SVT forum link I posted spends a crazy amount of time on the subject, and would provide a whole lot more factual information regarding the topic of this thread.

There's nothing wrong with Motorcraft, and using it as specified by your owners manual should give you years and years of good performance. For the same money, I'd like better performance, and also better filtration, and less frequent changes.

I will have the factory fill of Motorcraft on my Boss tested after I dump it before putting it away for the winter. Then I'll test the Amsoil fill I'll be putting in my car, and will be sharing the results on the SVT forum as they have an entire section devoted to this topic. Between now and the time I finally get my test results (~Dec '12) of the Motorcraft and then the Amsoil (~Dec '13) there will be another dozen oil threads.

Makes for interesting reading. :grinroll:

·
Registered
198 Posts
As for Amsoil, do a little research. I believe that you will find they do not meet, let alone exceed Ford specification WSS-M2C945-A. Just because they recommend their oil, does not mean they have conducted the required tests to meet Ford’s specification.

Research done. Meets the spec just fine and is a true syn oil. Motorcraft blend is not. Far better NOACK numbers better TBN better HTHS. EXCEEDS the spec!

The Motorcraft is a good oil the Amsoil is just a better oil.

Amsoil 5/w20 ALM

5W-20 (ALM): API SN (Resource Conserving), SM… ILSAC GF-5, GF-4… ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; GM 6094M; Ford WSS-M2C945-A, WSS-M2C930-A; Chrysler MS-6395

1 - 20 of 35 Posts